This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1323 / 53°7'56"N
Longitude: -3.1351 / 3°8'6"W
OS Eastings: 324152
OS Northings: 360066
OS Grid: SJ241600
Mapcode National: GBR 70.6LY2
Mapcode Global: WH77C.TJ8J
Plus Code: 9C5R4VJ7+WX
Entry Name: Coach-House and Cart-House at Nerquis Hall
Listing Date: 12 December 1994
Last Amended: 12 December 1994
Source ID: 15216
Building Class: Domestic
Location: To the rear (E) of the barn and stable range and enclosing a cobbled yard to the N and E.
Locality: Nerquis Hall Estate
Traditional County: Flintshire
Late C18 former coach-house and cart-house with adjacent piggeries to the N. Rubble with Sandstone ashlar facing, the coach and cart houses with slate roofs. The coach house section (to the L) is gabled with tile coping and plain kneelers. 2 large entrances with depressed- arched heads and chamfered reveals. Modern boarded double-doors. Stepped-down, and adjoining to the R, the former cartshed. 4 plain- arched openings with projecting keys to depressed heads, the outer ones now partly bricked-up. S gable end with later buttressing and rebuilt brick upper section. The rear pitch of the roof is of corrugated iron.
Adjoining the cart-house to the S is a contemporary open gateway. Rubble with rough-dressed stone quoins and capping (some lost). This opens into a walled enclosure which runs behind (to the E) the coach/cart range in a rough square and terminates in a modern gate in the NW corner. The wall is of rubble, with stone capping, stepped up at the NE corner, and partly collapsed to the N.
Adjoining the coach-house to the L and forming a rough L, a series of pig-sties. Depressed-arched entrances to a coped and stone-faced brick wall. Mono-pitched roof to rear (now mostly collapsed) serving brick sties.
Adjoining to the S a dwarf rubble wall, terminating at the junction with the NE corner of the stable range in a pair of plain stone gate-piers with conical capping. Plain late C18 wrought iron gates still in situ.
An interesting complex, being part of the 1790s additions by John Giffard.
Group value with the barn and stable range at Nerquis Hall.
Other nearby listed buildings