This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6337 / 52°38'1"N
Longitude: -3.1215 / 3°7'17"W
OS Eastings: 324196
OS Northings: 304585
OS Grid: SJ241045
Mapcode National: GBR B1.7258
Mapcode Global: WH79X.02V8
Entry Name: Footbridge E of Leighton Hall Tower
Listing Date: 24 December 1982
Last Amended: 20 March 1998
Source ID: 15628
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated E of Leighton Hall Tower, S of Serpentine Pond and NE of a terrace walk at Leighton Hall.
Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan (Ffordun gyda Tre'r-llai a Threlystan)
Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan
Locality: Leighton Park
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Designed by Edward Kemp, a pupil of Joseph Paxton, c1860 and part of the landscape gardens at Leighton Hall. Leighton Hall has formal gardens S of the library wing and SE of the Tower. In contrast, NE of the Hall and Tower it has a landscape garden which was planted with trees and shrubs, its woodland walks also contrasting with the terrace walks of the formal garden. In the landscape gardens bridges were used to span the natural hollows. The Footbridge E of Leighton Hall Tower occupies a focal point in the structure of the garden design as it stands between the formal and landscape gardens.
John Naylor, a Liverpool banker, had acquired the Leighton Estate in 1846-47 and embarked on an ambitious programme of building, notably Leighton Hall, church and Leighton Farm, all designed by W.H. Gee and completed by the mid 1850s. Leighton Hall had been constructed 1850-56. John Naylor's grandson, Captain J.M. Naylor, sold Leighton Hall and the Estate in 1931.
Five-span bridge of rock-faced Cefn stone with ashlar dressings and parapet. Each bay has a Tudor arch and is framed by moulded ribs and a string course. Above the string course is a pierced trefoil parapet with flat-topped coping. The abutments have no parapet but a similar coping, with string course below, ending in low square piers.
The Leighton Estate is an exceptional example of high-Victorian estate development. It is remarkable for the scale and ambition of its conception and planning, the consistency of its design, the extent of its survival, and is the most complete example of its type in Wales. Leighton Hall represents the centrepiece of this development, and the garden features are a key element in the setting of the house. The gardens are also a tour-de-force of landscaping whose individual components are remarkable for their consistency of design and the extent of their survival. The footbridge is listed Grade II* as a focal point of the gardens and for the high quality of its design.
Other nearby listed buildings