This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6338 / 52°38'1"N
Longitude: -3.1216 / 3°7'17"W
OS Eastings: 324189
OS Northings: 304600
OS Grid: SJ241046
Mapcode National: GBR B1.7257
Mapcode Global: WH79X.02T5
Entry Name: Arbour at Leighton Hall
Listing Date: 24 December 1982
Last Amended: 20 March 1998
Source ID: 19529
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Within landscape gardens at Leighton Hall SW of Serpentine Pond. It is linked by paths to W and N to bridge E of Leighton Hall Tower and bridge E of Serpentine Pond respectively.
Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan (Ffordun gyda Tre'r-llai a Threlystan)
Community: Forden with Leighton and Trelystan
Locality: Leighton Park
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Designed by Edward Kemp, a pupil of Joseph Paxton, c1860 and part of the landscape gardens at Leighton Hall. Leighton Hall has formal gardens S of the library wing and SE of the Tower. In contrast, NE of the Hall and Tower it has a landscape garden which was planted with trees and shrubs, its woodland walks also contrasting with the terrace walks of the formal garden. The arbour is part of the network of woodland paths through the landscape gardens and was designed as a resting place from where both the formal and informal aspects of the garden could be viewed.
John Naylor, a Liverpool banker, had acquired the Leighton Estate in 1846-47 and embarked on an ambitious programme of building, notably Leighton Hall, church and Leighton Farm, all designed by W.H. Gee and completed by the mid 1850s. Leighton Hall had been constructed 1850-56. John Naylor's grandson, Captain J.M. Naylor, sold Leighton Hall and the Estate in 1931.
Six-sided enclosure within a network of paths. Of coursed, rock-faced Cefn stone and ramped, ashlar parapet. Stone steps lead down from the W side; a second opening is on the N side. The parapet has a simple cusped trail with ramped coping. On the E side is a curved slate bench.
The Leighton Estate is an exceptional example of high-Victorian estate development. It is remarkable for the scale and ambition of its conception and planning, the consistency of its design, the extent of its survival, and is the most complete example of its type in Wales. Leighton Hall represents the centrepiece of this development, and the garden features are a key element in the setting of the house. The gardens are also a tour-de-force of landscaping whose individual components are remarkable for their consistency of design and the extent of their survival. The Arbour is characteristic of these garden features in its attention to detail.
Other nearby listed buildings