History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Penrhiwceiber Welfare Institute

A Grade II Listed Building in Penrhiwceiber, Rhondda Cynon Taff

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6682 / 51°40'5"N

Longitude: -3.3607 / 3°21'38"W

OS Eastings: 305996

OS Northings: 197476

OS Grid: ST059974

Mapcode National: GBR HP.63DP

Mapcode Global: VH6DB.PBQJ

Entry Name: Former Penrhiwceiber Welfare Institute

Listing Date: 9 December 1994

Last Amended: 10 March 2003

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 15668

Building Class: Recreational

Location: Located on a corner plot , just south of the centre of Penrhiwceiber.

County: Rhondda Cynon Taff

Town: Mountain Ash

Community: Penrhiwceiber (Penrhiw-ceibr)

Community: Penrhiwceiber

Built-Up Area: Mountain Ash

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Treharris

History

Built 1913, possibly designed by TW Millard of Mountain Ash. Contained a dance hall, snooker room and library. Ground floor contained the hardwood dance floor a small stage and kitchen. Basement level contained gym and boiler room. Staircase at rear led to a bar and snooker room on first floor and to libary and reading room on top floor.

Exterior

Hall and Institute with a terracotta facade in Renaissance revival style. A three-storey building, three bays to the front with a parapet and gabled slate roof; the side elevation is five bays; the sides and rear are rendered. The windows are square headed with 12-pane sashes, all retained though ground floor concealed by 1990s security blockings. The terracotta facade has full-length pilasters at each corner with sunken panels and the date 1913 at the top; parapet was re-built in the 1950s the storeys are separated by deep moulded string courses. The ground floor is rusticated, with a central doorway and two windows, each with pronounced keystones joining a string course above; the doorway has a deep hood supported on acanthus brackets and rusticated pilasters; recessed paired four-panel doors. Each of the upper two storeys has three equally spaced windows: the first floor windows have deep moulded surrounds, a continuous sill, and curling brackets supporting cornices. The top floor windows are camber-headed with plain moulded architraves.

Interior

Currrently unused. Large rooms on each floor. Most internal fittings removed in the expectation of conversion to alternative use.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a good smaller example of this important building type, especially notable for its unaltered terracotta facade.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.