History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lock House

A Grade II Listed Building in Abercynon, Rhondda Cynon Taff

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6554 / 51°39'19"N

Longitude: -3.3167 / 3°19'0"W

OS Eastings: 309009

OS Northings: 195995

OS Grid: ST090959

Mapcode National: GBR HR.6VVN

Mapcode Global: VH6DC.GNFC

Entry Name: Lock House

Listing Date: 20 January 1995

Last Amended: 12 December 2002

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 15669

Building Class: Domestic

Location: At the NE community boundary in an area known as Five Locks, just W of the A470 and reached by a track leading down from Goitre Coed Road between Abercynon and Quakers Yard.

County: Rhondda Cynon Taff

Community: Abercynon

Community: Abercynon

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Treharris

History

Probably built c 1795 as a lock-keeper's house for the Glamorganshire Canal. The canal was built to improve communication between the inland ironworks and ports on the Bristol Channel, linking Merthyr Tydfil with Cardiff. Engineered by Thomas Dadford, with principal promoters Richard Crawshay and Francis Homfrey, ironmasters. Act of 1790 authorised the building and canal opened 1794, a length of 25.5 miles (41 km), with 51 locks. When listed in 1995 the house already had a ''modern tiled'' roof, now replaced with artificial slate, ''modern casement glazing'' and a ''modern lean-to porch'', no longer extant.

Exterior

Cottage, extended to left (S), facing line of former Glamorganshire canal, behind front garden with stone wall. Built of brown and grey squared rubble with dressed quoins, left gable end rendered; artificial slate roof with end stacks of snecked dressed stone. Two storeys; a slightly asymmetrical front with windows and door offset to left. Two-window range, glazing replaced, the ground floor windows and centre left doorway under stone lintels which are lightly scored as voussoirs; boarded door.

Interior

Ground floor of cottage converted to a single room. Stairs rise beside fireplace. Central doorway is blocked behind door.

Reasons for Listing

Listed notwithstanding modernisation for its historic interest as a surviving lock house associated with former Glamorganshire Canal.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.