This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9882 / 52°59'17"N
Longitude: -3.0429 / 3°2'34"W
OS Eastings: 330086
OS Northings: 343942
OS Grid: SJ300439
Mapcode National: GBR 73.HZ6G
Mapcode Global: WH89B.747Z
Plus Code: 9C4RXXQ4+7R
Entry Name: Congregational Church (including attached Sunday School, gatepiers, walls and railings)
Listing Date: 22 February 1995
Last Amended: 22 February 1995
Source ID: 15721
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on an elevated site on the N side of Ruabon with churchyard enclosed by high stone wall. Known as Hill Street Congregational Church.
Community: Ruabon (Rhiwabon)
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The first Congregational Chapel in Ruabon was built in 1813 on Tan-y-Llan; in 1857 land was purchased from Sir Watkin Williams-Wynn and a new chapel designed by W.I. Mason of Liverpool was built at a cost of ú1,400 and opened in 1858.
Gothic Revival style. Roughly coursed and squared sandstone rubble, sandstone ashlar dressings, slate roof. T-shaped plan with schoolroom attached to rear. Gabled front with central wheel-window and recessed arched entrance in a buttressed and gables surround, on either side windows with simple tracery. Elevation to Pont Adam has three windows with simple tracery and an entrance to cellars at basement level, gabled end to school room has 3-light window with cusped heads. Rear elevation of schoolroom has 5-light mullioned and transomed window with arched heads.
Gate piers, gates, railings with fleur-de-lys finials and wall to Pont Adam form part of the ensemble.
Waggon roof with timber trusses rising from corbels set in the wall. Tall arched openings with original doors to each side of central pulpit.
Furnishings: Contemporary scheme with pitch-pine furnishings. Pews retain doors and enamelled number plates; pulpit with carved foliated panels said to be from the parish church of St. Mary's. Organ with painted and stencilled pipes by Wadsworth & Bro., Manchester. Chrome and glass electric lights of c1930. Schoolroom has inserted ceiling.
Listed as a little altered mid-Victorian chapel with contemporary interior fittings
Other nearby listed buildings