History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Esgairnant Calvinistic Methodist Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Talley, Carmarthenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9711 / 51°58'16"N

Longitude: -3.9756 / 3°58'32"W

OS Eastings: 264387

OS Northings: 232140

OS Grid: SN643321

Mapcode National: GBR DX.KSM8

Mapcode Global: VH4HK.1QM9

Entry Name: Esgairnant Calvinistic Methodist Chapel

Listing Date: 1 March 1995

Last Amended: 1 March 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 15771

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Situated on N side of B4302, SW of Talley village.

County: Carmarthenshire

Community: Talley (Talyllychau)

Community: Talley

Traditional County: Carmarthenshire

Find accommodation in
Talley

History

The Methodists have been meeting here since 1794 in a cottage called Esgairnant. A chapel was built in 1806 for ò180. Rebuilt and enlarged 1828. Rebuilt except walls in 1899 for ò420, the work supervised by John Williams, carpenter of Llanfynydd. The architect was probably David Jenkins of Llandeilo, whose 1883 refitting of Cwmdu Chapel is very similar in style.

Exterior

1828 Chapel refitted 1899. Inscribed tablet " Esgairnant Capel Y Methodistiad Calfiniadd. Adeiladwyd 1806. Ail Adeiladwyd a Helaethwyd 1828. Adgyweiriwyd 1899 ". Lateral rendered facade with raised cemented quoins. Slate roof, wide bracketed eaves and soffits. Two central Y-traceried tall round arched windows flanked by matching round arched doorways with Y-tracery fanlights, above which, slightly offset are round arched upper windows, both with tracery as above. Whitewashed rubble rear elevation with 2 rectangular long windows and central buttress. Small 2-storey vestry to S with corner hip-roofed porch.

Attached to S forecourt wall is a tablet: " This Chapel was built by the Calvinistic Methodists in the year 1806. Rebuilt and enlarged in 1828 ".

Interior

3-sided timber gallery, panelled front with wave-moulded cornice and inset clock upon marbled cast-iron columns with foliate capitals. Raked pews. Elaborate round-arched plaster surround behind pulpit with fluted Corinthian pilasters, leaf decoration. Raised timber polygonal pulpit, panelled with cuspwork and roundels. Big seat; half-rail with turned wooden balusters, newels with ball finials.

An attractive and unaltered late C19 interior.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.