This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9635 / 51°57'48"N
Longitude: -3.981 / 3°58'51"W
OS Eastings: 263993
OS Northings: 231304
OS Grid: SN639313
Mapcode National: GBR DW.LK5X
Mapcode Global: VH4HJ.YX84
Plus Code: 9C3RX279+CJ
Entry Name: Attached Byre at Gelli cefn y Rhos
Listing Date: 1 March 1995
Last Amended: 1 March 1995
Source ID: 15777
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Isolated farmhouse in the hills to the S of Talley. At end of long lane off Talley-Cwmdu by-road.
Community: Talley (Talyllychau)
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Later C16 reconstructed cruck-framed hall house with attached byre of 1915. 1st storey rubble built (formerly whitewashed) long low farmhouse. Corrugated iron roof concealing thatch of considerable age. Wide wooden soffits. Rendered gable stacks, thicker to left with drips. Pronounced curve in wall to left denoting staircase within, with 4-pane window; timber lintel. 3 windows to right with timber lintels, 5-pane hornless sashes; vertical glazing bars only. Three small skylights to roof.
Attached to left is the former byre. One storey, rubble built, corrugated iron roof extended to form canopy over former cross-passage door to right. Brick quoins and head to doorway, boarded door. 3 windows to left, similarly dressed in brick. Doorway to extreme left treated as above with divided stable type boarded door. Return elevation of byre with datestone (1915) to gable. Ground floor doorway with brick cambered heads and jambs. Divided stable type boarded door. Similar loft doorway with boarded door above.
2 small rear lean-to extensions to house one Georgian, the other early C20. The latter conceals a small 2-light timber diamond mullion window; to the rear wall of the house: this is probably late C16. Victorian 4-paned horned sash to right of above extension.
Internally, the building reveals itself as a reconstructed cruck framed hall house of scarfed cruck construction with the remains of a further scarfed cruck. The main chimney and first floor were possibly inserted c1600- the parlour also probably belongs to this date. The resultant plan is that of a central service room between hall and parlour. Georgian panelled and planked partitions to ground floor central room. Plain chamfered beams to ground floor central room and hall, deeply chamfered beams to parlour, indicating a C17 extension. Original bressumer to hall fireplace with inset 1940s tiled grate. Doorway off cross passage still in use. Part of cross passage and byre sympathetically converted for extra accommodation.
Listed as an important vernacular farmhouse.
Other nearby listed buildings