History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Maesmawr Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Guilsfield, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.6782 / 52°40'41"N

Longitude: -3.2339 / 3°14'2"W

OS Eastings: 316672

OS Northings: 309660

OS Grid: SJ166096

Mapcode National: GBR 9W.4BH4

Mapcode Global: WH79G.9Y86

Plus Code: 9C4RMQH8+7C

Entry Name: Maesmawr Hall

Listing Date: 22 February 1995

Last Amended: 22 February 1995

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 15810

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located in a narrow valley, approached by a long driveway from Maesmawr Road, and is set in its own landscaped grounds.

County: Powys

Community: Guilsfield (Cegidfa)

Community: Guilsfield

Locality: Maesmawr

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
New Bridge


Gentry house, c.1689-92, for Lloyd family, [Edward Lloyd?] to replace, an earlier building, the site of which is not established. Altered by Capt Lloyd Jones in early C19, and extended c.1850-60, probably by W.H.Hill, architect of Shrewsbury, for William Curling, a Midlands industrialist to provide a sporting estate.


C17 brick in irregular Flemish bond, with steeply pitched slate hipped roof and lead flat. Two storeys, basement and 2 attic floors, in Restoration style. Double pile plan, originally large reception rooms either side of central hall, which leads to a lateral stair in the narrower rear range, behind two internal stacks. Plan to W of hall altered c.1850-60, to form large room with canted bay overlooking gardens, and a large(10m) ballroom added to the rear. Various later minor alterations. Stacks panelled (?C19 rebuild) symmetrically above roof.
S elevation of 7 window bays, with large mid C19 central porch with steep hipped roof and round headed openings between corner pilasters, covering 7 steps to the reworked round-headed main entrance door. Facade has plat band, returning at ends, but eaves rebuilt in red brick late C19; now with moulded brick dentils replacing a crenellated parapet. Twelve-paned sashes set within rebated reveals, probably early C19. Two ranges of dormers, the lower round-headed plate glass sashes, the upper, smaller with heavy segmental pediments, both ranges supported with carved scroll brackets. Two canted 2-storey bay windows overlooking W gardens, one supported on an arcaded gazebo at basement level, and similar canted bay to rear.
The house is recorded as having a 1.2m high oak roof parapet, with 44 coats of arms of related gentry, which was removed when the house was re-slated in 1770.

The grounds contain an extensive lake to the N, created by Captain Lloyd Jones 46.1820, and later garden design by Edward Kemp c.1858.


Hall enlarged to W in C19. Dining room right of hall, fully bolection moulded oak panelling with matching doors, and 3-centred recess at E end. Ceiling divided into 9 bays, early C18, plastered with garlands and classical figures in central roundels. Seventeenth century open-well stair top rear of dining room rises through 3 floors, with deep handrail and ambitiously turned balusters between square newels. Pulvinated string and plaster garlands on soffite. Openings to the stair well have fan decorated segmental plaster tympana. Ballroom to rear has heavy coved anthemion cornice and Carrara marble fireplace, the two bays to this room both with plate glass sashes. Upper floors have framed walls and chamfered timbered beamed ceilings, dragon beams to the corners, and a form of upper crucks to the roof. Plan adjusted in C19 to provide a batchelor 'barrack room' for shooting parties. Over the ballroom a top-lit billiard room.

Reasons for Listing

Graded II* as an important example of a fashionable Restoration period house with a particularly fine contemporary dining room and stair, but still constructed with traditional Montgomeryshire framing. The house is also illustrative of adaptations made for society life in the early-mid Victorian period.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Lodge to Maesmawr Hall (including Gate Piers)
    Located at the junction of the driveway with the main road, E of Maesmawr Hall.
  • II Moydog-fach
    Located on a platform site on the S facing slope of Y Figyn, and reached by a long farm road from the Welshpool to Llanfair Caereinion road through Frochas.
  • II Cefn Pentre
    Three km approx SE of the village of Meifod, approached from a narrow lane which runs NW of the B4392, which it leaves half a km NE of Maesmawr Hall.
  • II Detached farm range at Cefn Pentre
    Parallel to the main range, set back to its right.
  • II Cefn du Uchaf Farmhouse
    Located off the B.4392 to Llanfair Cereinion, at the western end of the Community Area.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.