History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cow shed at Treprior Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Y Ferwig, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1093 / 52°6'33"N

Longitude: -4.586 / 4°35'9"W

OS Eastings: 223010

OS Northings: 248822

OS Grid: SN230488

Mapcode National: GBR D2.9C4R

Mapcode Global: VH2MQ.G7FT

Entry Name: Cow shed at Treprior Farm

Listing Date: 6 March 1995

Last Amended: 6 March 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 15872

Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence

Location: Situated on W side of farmyard at Treprior Farm, approximately 200m N of the A487 at Tremain.

County: Ceredigion

Community: Y Ferwig

Community: Y Ferwig

Locality: Tremain

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Aberporth

History

Treprior mentioned as an ancient house now farm by S Lewis in 1833. The farm formed part of the Priory estate until 1886 when it was sold. The cow shed was probably built in the 1860's. The brickworks in Cardigan manufactured bricks from about 1858 to around 1923.

Exterior

C1860-70 long red brick cow shed with plinth, built of large Cardigan L shaped hollow bricks. Slate roof with swept eaves and three ventilators on ridge. E front symmetrical with door, three windows, door, three windows and door. Doors and windows have chamfered brick surrounds, segmental pointed. Windows are narrow iron 8 pane, doors are ledged. Circular window high on N and S walls. Lean-to on N end of later brick with two windows and two doors. Scissor rafter roof. Large slate slab dividers between cow stalls.

Reasons for Listing

Included as the best local example of farm buildings built using the large Cardigan L-shaped hollow bricks. Other examples can be seen at Bryn Pedr Farm near Gwbert.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Corn Barn at Treprior Farm
    Situated on W side of farmyard at Treprior Farm, approximately 200m N of the A487 at Tremain.
  • II Dolcoed
    Situated to S of A487 in Tremain, some 450m W of the turning to St Michael's Church.
  • II Milestone
    Situated to S of A487 at Tremain approximately 25m W of the turning to St Michael's Church, Tremain.
  • II* Church of St Michael
    Situated near a minor road 200m S of A487 at Tremain.
  • II Milestone
    Situated to S of A487 near the house called Milestone at Penparc.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.