This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0095 / 52°0'34"N
Longitude: -4.0115 / 4°0'41"W
OS Eastings: 262040
OS Northings: 236478
OS Grid: SN620364
Mapcode National: GBR DV.HHMM
Mapcode Global: VH4HB.FR4C
Plus Code: 9C4Q2X5Q+RC
Entry Name: Bethel Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, including Vestry to Right
Listing Date: 26 May 1995
Last Amended: 26 May 1995
Source ID: 16005
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located at the N end of Bethel Terrace. Large graveyard opposite.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Built 1749, rebuilt 1829, renovated and refitted 1904, David Jenkins of Llandeilo, architect. A photograph in Price's "History of Llansawel" (1898) shows the pre-1904 chapel. Early and important cause. Howel Harries and Williams, Pantycelyn, were among the early preachers.
1829 chapel, extensively restored 1904 by David Jenkins of Llandeilo, architect. Long lateral facade, C20 spar-dashed finish (formerly rendered), slate roof. Full-length shallow gable added 1904 with timber consoled cornice. Glazing and doors of 1904. Two central high round arched 17-pane windows, marginal glazing, with arched doorways flanking, boarded doors; fanlights with simple radiating tracery. Upper windows offset above, both 9-pane; heads and glazing as above. Small ground floor windows to extreme ends, both 6-pane; heads as above. Tablet to pediment: "Bethel Capel y Trefnyddion Calfinaidd. Adeiladwyd yn 1749. A Ail adeiladwyd yn 1829. Ac A Adnewydd yn 1904." Two long windows to rear as front.
Rendered dwarf walls with decorative Edwardian cast iron railings with similar cast iron gates before each door.
Two storey early C19 vestry attached to right. Two window rendered front, 4-pane sashes of 1904, 2 doors to left.
Rubble single storey former stable to right of vestry, boarded door with cambered stone voussoired head, similar door to rear with window to left, C20 glazing; similar head.
Wholly of 1904. Simple ceiling coved on 3 sides with timber ribs and cornice, boarded centre with decorative wooden ventilator. Three sided slightly curving timber gallery upon cast iron columns painted to imitate granite, bracketed front, long panels of cast iron openwork above panels of diagonally set boarding. Panelled pilaster strips between; moulded cornice. Raised timber pulpit, panelled front; flanking sweeping staircases with turned balusters. Impressive timber tabernacle-board behind pulpit with fluted pilasters and triangular pediment, moulded arched panels to centre with roundels above.
Listed as large mainly late Georgian chapel with attractive Edwardian interior.
Other nearby listed buildings