This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5791 / 51°34'44"N
Longitude: -2.8314 / 2°49'53"W
OS Eastings: 342485
OS Northings: 187015
OS Grid: ST424870
Mapcode National: GBR JD.CQJ7
Mapcode Global: VH7BG.WK0V
Entry Name: Magor Mansion (also known as the Procurator's House)
Listing Date: 31 May 1995
Last Amended: 31 May 1995
Source ID: 16064
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated adjacent to churchyard to north-west of St Mary's church.
Community: Magor with Undy (Magwyr gyda Gwndy)
Community: Magor with Undy
Built-Up Area: Undy
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Ruins of large C16 house, referred to in 1585 as a mansion house belonging to the Vicar of Magor. A possible former house on the site referred to in 1388 may have been linked with an Italian Abbey at Anagni to which church and tithes were granted in 1238, these subsequently leased by and eventually granted to the Cistercian community at Tintern; this may explain the traditional name of the Procurator's House.
Of roughly coursed sandstone rubble with ashlar quoins, fireplaces and dressings. Two storeys and cellar. Of roughly rectangular plan with 2 small projecting wings, one possibly a porch facing churchyard and one recorded as facing village square. Main SE wall stands in part to chimney height which shows gable coping. On first floor are remains of recessed windows - no mullions surviving - with segmental pointed arched heads, 2 to full height. Chamfered fireplace with relieving arch and stack above and remains of further stack and newel stair to S. On ground floor are similar windows of varying dimensions and 2 flues, no fireplaces surviving but relieving arch above opening. Cellar has 4 segmental headed pointed arched openings. SW wall survives to roof level only as a short return with fragmentary openings. NE wall has two arched openings and a fireplace. Putlog holes and some internal lime plaster survive.
Although scheduled, this building is also listed for its important architectural and historic interest and for its group value with Magor church and churchyard.
Scheduled Ancient Monument Mm 180.
Other nearby listed buildings