This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1304 / 52°7'49"N
Longitude: -4.5493 / 4°32'57"W
OS Eastings: 225604
OS Northings: 251078
OS Grid: SN256510
Mapcode National: GBR D4.7VLY
Mapcode Global: VH2MK.3QB5
Plus Code: 9C4Q4FJ2+57
Entry Name: Church of St Cynwyl
Listing Date: 20 June 1995
Last Amended: 20 June 1995
Source ID: 16079
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on B4333, S of the centre of Aberporth.
Community: Aberporth (Aber-porth)
Built-Up Area: Aberporth
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Anglican parish church rebuilt 1855-57 on an old site, architect R. J. Withers and builder David Morgan.
Pwntan stone with Bath stone dressings. Steep pitch slate roof with coped gables and cross finials. Nave, chancel, W bellcote, N vestry and S porch all in Decorated Gothic style. Battered plinth. W end has 2-light window with quatrefoil head and hood mould. Tall W bellcote with battered base, side buttresses and steeply gabled ashlar top with single bell opening. Nave S side has two sloping buttresses flanking two 2-light windows with varied foiled heads. S porch is steeply gabled with pointed arch and hood mould, inner door with hoodmould and carved head stops. Two similar 2-light windows and one 3-light window segmental pointed on N side all with hood moulds. Sloping buttresses at NW corner and between second and third windows. Chancel has one similar 2-light S, and 3-light E window with three quatrefoils to head and hood mould. Lean-to N vestry. Diagonal SE buttress and flat NE buttress, stepped up sill and string course on S and E.
Scissor rafter roof to nave, plastered walls and chamfered chancel arch with moulding dying into side walls and hood mould. Collar rafter roof with straight bracing to chancel. Heavy octagonal font with sexfoil panels, rosettes and drum base with slate shafts. Pine pews and panelled pulpit. Chancel fittings and E wall panelling by E. A. Roiser (c1939). E and W windows of patterned glass by N. W. Lavers (c1856). The E window has a central single C14 style panel designed by Alfred Bell, later of Clayton and Bell, and three stained glass panels in top roundels. The W window to Thomas Propert (d1839) and Jane, his wife (d1813), given by John Propert, High Sheriff 1856. Chancel S window to Berriman family by A. L. Wilkinson (c1939).
Included as a good small Victorian Gothic church, the first by R J Withers in Cardiganshire.
Other nearby listed buildings