History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Monastery Church, Capel-y-Ffin

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanigon, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9761 / 51°58'33"N

Longitude: -3.0904 / 3°5'25"W

OS Eastings: 325201

OS Northings: 231405

OS Grid: SO252314

Mapcode National: GBR F2.KQ2Q

Mapcode Global: VH78D.DL3H

Entry Name: The Monastery Church, Capel-y-Ffin

Listing Date: 20 June 1995

Last Amended: 20 June 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 16103

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

County: Powys

Community: Llanigon

Community: Llanigon

Traditional County: Brecknockshire

Find accommodation in
Llanthony

Exterior

16103

The Monastic Church stands on a hillside to the west of Capel-y-ffin, NE of the Monastery and detached from it.

History: The Monastery was started in 1869 by Father Ignatius (the Rev J L Lyne 1837-1908), as an Anglican Benedictine foundation in succession to Llanthony. The cloister was begun in 1870, the detached church in 1872; Charles Buckeridge was succeeded in 1873 as architect by J L Pearson. Building stopped in 1882 and the church collapsed c.1920. Acquired by Eric Gill 1924, as a Catholic self-supporting community of the Ditchling Guild.

Exterior: Only the chancel exists, in ruins. Stone, buttressed, bulging outwards at E end.

Interior: 3 bays, severe Transitional Early English. Doorways to N & S and wall-shafts for vaulting, all with trumpet capitals. 3-bay sedilia, combined aumbry & piscina, cusped heads. Cusped tomb recess(?) on N.

References: Kilvert's Diary (1870); R Haslam, Powys
1979; H J Massingham, The Southern Marches, 1952, 144-6.

Listed for its significance in the 19th-century religious revival.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II The Monastery
    The Monastery stands on a hillside to the west of the church at Capel-y-ffin.
  • II Telephone Call-box
    At the western side of the lane through the Vale of Ewyas, opposite St Mary's Church; raised above road on a grass verge.
  • II St. Mary's Church
    This chapel-of-ease to Llanigon Church stands in a small churchyard adjacent to the lane, accompanied by a number of ancient yew-trees.
  • II Baptist Chapel (formerly listed as a non-conformist chapel at capel-y-ffin)
    The Chapel stands in its own small grounds behind the Church of St Mary.
  • II Ty-Shores
    The house stands down an unmade-up track and across a brook SE of Capel-y-ffin, at the boundary of Llanigon Community area.
  • II Barn at The Vision Farm
    About 30m south west of The Vision Farmhouse.
  • II The Vision Farmhouse
    At the very north end of the Community on the east bank of Afon Honddu and approached off the valley road at Tafolog Bridge.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.