This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2975 / 52°17'51"N
Longitude: -3.5151 / 3°30'54"W
OS Eastings: 296776
OS Northings: 267678
OS Grid: SN967676
Mapcode National: GBR 9J.X77N
Mapcode Global: VH5CQ.1J22
Plus Code: 9C4R7FXM+2X
Entry Name: Church of St Bride
Listing Date: 31 July 1995
Last Amended: 31 July 1995
Source ID: 16194
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: To S of B 4515 Elan Valley road. In large churchyard above River Wye, with early C19 tombstones, and iron gates to road.
Community: Rhayader (Rhaeadr Gwy)
Built-Up Area: Rhayader
Traditional County: Radnorshire
Rebuilt by F R Kempson, architect, consecrated 26 October 1865; on site of old church.
Grey rock-faced stone, bathstone dressings, battered plinth, slate roofs (some replacement slates). Nave, S aisle, porch, W tower with Norman type spire. Alternating head and floral corbels to eaves. Porch has wooden gates, stone benches, trefoil window to each side; to R of doorway, stoup (probably from old church) with 3 primitive heads. S elevation has two 2-light windows, plate tracery. Single lancet to each end of aisle, chancel has one 2-light and one 1-light window. E window of 3-lights plate tracery. Vestry has N door and 2-light window. Nave N wall has three 2-light windows. Tower with Norman type spire has W door, upper stage has 2-light windows then 1-light windows; two buttresses to W side of tower.
Arch-braced roof with floral corbels. South arcade of 4 bays with round shafts and elaborate foliage capitals, Transitional style but with naturalistic detailing. Good stained glass. Stained glass to aisle gables by Morris and Co, and by Stokes; three S windows by O'Connor, 1871. Wooden benches, wooden octagonal pulpit, eagle lectern. Octagonal stone font. Two late C18/early C19 monuments reset on tower wall. Chancel arch with engaged shafts on corbels. Low wall to chancel with fine wrought iron screen (central arch with 3 arches to each side) low gates; flower finials. Oak choir stalls. Stone reredos with Last Supper (by William Forsyth of Worcester); two arches to each side, polychrome marble shafts and inlay.
Included as well-preserved church with fine detailing and fixtures.
Other nearby listed buildings