This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6128 / 52°36'46"N
Longitude: -3.1928 / 3°11'34"W
OS Eastings: 319332
OS Northings: 302341
OS Grid: SJ193023
Mapcode National: GBR 9Y.8GM4
Mapcode Global: WH79V.XLS9
Plus Code: 9C4RJR74+4V
Entry Name: The Factory
Listing Date: 21 August 1995
Last Amended: 21 August 1995
Source ID: 16351
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Set back from the lane, and approached by a track almost opposite Brithdir Hall.
Community: Berriew (Aberriw)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Built as a water-powered flannel factory, c1830, and later partially converted for domestic use. Further conversion under way in 1995. The factory was certainly in existence (though may have been new) in 1834, when it was proposed to add a second pool to the existing water power system, which also served the corn-mill at Brithdir and the smaller mill at Upper Luggy close by. The lower bay to the right is a slightly later addition. It is not known when it ceased production.
Roughly coursed rubble, with brick dressings to windows; roof largely missing on inspection, 1995, but probably originally slate (later replaced with corrugated sheet). Stack on right hand gable. 3-storeyed main range of 5 bays, divided internally to form a working area of 4 bays, and a small separate area, apparently always in domestic use, to the right. Wide windows with brick arched heads aligned on each floor. Doorway into working area to right of centre, and smaller doorway leading to domestic accommodation to the right, against the gable end. Rear elevation has similar pattern of fenestration, and a former doorway in centre. Wheel pit formerly against left-hand gable, and round-arched opening for shaft survives below ground level; doorway at first floor level. Small extension against right hand gable of rougher rubble: single unit, with doorway to right and single window alongside it.
Divided internally to form working areas of 4 bays originally to ground and first floors, but an undivided space in the upper storey. These working areas have heavy transverse timber beams, and chamfered kingpost and strut trusses of standard C19 type. Remains of some machinery against the gable wall, including timber (wallower) wheel and a plank drum, possibly part of a willy. the fifth bay (to the right) is separated by a brick wall to ground floor and stud partitions (recently replaced) to first floor, and comprised a small dwelling unit with axial ceiling beams, and gable end fireplace.
A fine example of a now unusual building type, a small rural water powered textile factory.
Other nearby listed buildings