This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.1934 / 53°11'36"N
Longitude: -3.192 / 3°11'31"W
OS Eastings: 320458
OS Northings: 366924
OS Grid: SJ204669
Mapcode National: GBR 6X.2YYY
Mapcode Global: WH76Y.YZ5Q
Plus Code: 9C5R5RV5+95
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 16 October 1995
Last Amended: 16 October 1995
Source ID: 16440
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated in the churchyard close to the centre of the village
Built-Up Area: Rhydymwyn
Traditional County: Flintshire
The parish was created as a subdivision of Cilcain parish in 1865 and the church was built with the aid of a grant from the Incorporated Society for the Building of Churches. The site was donated by Philip Bryan Davies and the architect was the nationally important J L Pearson who had been engaged at works on Gwysaney for Davies. The building was erected 1861-4 at a cost of ú2,500.
High Victorian Gothic Revival style with French influence. Squared rubble with dressed quoins and dressed banding and tracery, slate roof, red ridge tiles. The church is restrained in appearance in keeping with its rural setting, but strongly expressed and skilfully proportioned in High Victorian style. There is a bellcote at the west end, a gabled N porch, S vestry with chimney and plate tracery windows. The chancel is expressed externally beneath a lower roof, coped gable ends to nave and chancel have stone crucifix finials. The stone banding gives restrained polychromatic effect and it is enriched with quatrefoils on the chancel.
To the N of the church is a stone gabled entrance to churchyard with crucifix finial.
Aisleless; tall chancel arch with shafts with foliated caps, timber nave roof, 2 steps up to chancel, 1 step up to sanctuary, chancel has elaborate arch-braced ship's keel roof of European character with cusped and pierced windbraces, the walls have dark stone banding and a foliated cornice, reredos with marble shafts with foliated caps and cornice and scene of the Last Supper. Square stone font with marble shafts at W end, stone pulpit with arcading, simple bench seating. Organ by Charles Whitely & Co. Stained glass is a good early C20 scheme including a window with Welsh text with SS David and Garmon.
Listed as an accomplished High Victorian design and an early work by one of the principal ecclesiastical architects of the period.
Other nearby listed buildings