This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.064 / 53°3'50"N
Longitude: -3.0088 / 3°0'31"W
OS Eastings: 332494
OS Northings: 352339
OS Grid: SJ324523
Mapcode National: GBR 75.BTXB
Mapcode Global: WH88Y.R7FW
Entry Name: Lower Stansty Farmhouse
Listing Date: 1 December 1995
Last Amended: 2 February 1996
Source ID: 16537
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Down a lane off the NE side of Stansty Chain Road, 250m approx. SE of its junction with Mold Road.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The house has late C16 origins: according to Palmer, a house was recorded here in 1581: a cruck truss is noted by Hubbard, and the present plan form may be of that period. However, the building was later largely rebuilt or remodelled: the brick exterior walls and pattern of fenestration are probably late C17: Palmer noted a datestone of 1698. There was also some re-working in c1925-6 (including the distinctive red tiled roof). This work has been attributed to Ernest Barnsley.
Painted brick to front elevation, lined-out render to rear elevations, with moulded stone plinth to cross wing and parts of main range, stone quoins and red plain tiled bell-cast roof with pronounced overhang. Moulded kneelers to stone coped gables; axial stacks in main range (rebuilt) and lower W wing; projecting end-wall stack on W gable of main range. Plan comprises main range and cross-wing, with a lower wing continuing the line of the main range beyond the cross wing. Opposed entrances in angle of main range with cross wing; 2-unit main range. Main elevation faces N: doorway in angle with advanced gable to right: Ledged doorway with canopy hood. Early fenestration in main range and gable has steep single-ring arched openings; coped dormer gable over right hand window of main range: small-paned 2-light horizontally sliding sashes in main range (the lower left-hand window inserted); similar small-paned windows in cross wing are casements. Rear of main range has doorway to left, with 9-pane sash window above it: paired similar windows over 3-light casement beyond, and 3-light horizontally sliding sashes on each floor to the right, all with small panes. Inserted windows in gable of cross wing. Lower W wing has doorway with inserted window above. E gable of main range has blocked 2-light mullioned window towards its apex.
The house is a notable vernacular survival in this area, retaining much of its early character and with additional interest derived from its early C20 restoration and remodelling.
Other nearby listed buildings