This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0347 / 53°2'4"N
Longitude: -3.0346 / 3°2'4"W
OS Eastings: 330721
OS Northings: 349102
OS Grid: SJ307491
Mapcode National: GBR 74.DTLG
Mapcode Global: WH88Y.CZ6D
Entry Name: The White House
Listing Date: 8 December 1995
Last Amended: 8 December 1995
Source ID: 16561
Building Class: Domestic
Location: On the S side of the western part of Bersham village, in an elevated position above the River Clywedog.
Traditional County: Denbighshire
The house is shown in a drawing of 1780 by William Westaway Rowe, and in 1829, was occupied by his son William Rowe, an engineer for Wilkinson's ironworks at Bersham and Brymbo. From its size and position, it seems likely that the house was built to accommodate a key worker at the ironworks, possibly Rowe himself. The house was extended and remodelled c1890
Roughcast render over brick; slate roof with ridge tile cresting and gable end stacks; moulded cast-iron guttering forms eaves cornice in main range; overhanging eaves to S rear wing. 2 storeys, 3-window main range, parallel rear wings. Original doorway now French windows in centre of main range, flanked by 3-light casement windows on each floor, the lower windows transomed and with small upper panes. Similarly detailed French doors in right-hand gable return. Rear wing to N built in two phases (possibly part of the original construction extended in the later C19). S wing is almost certainly an addition of c1890: it houses the main entrance - a 4-panelled door in lean-to red-tiled canopy porch supported on brackets, flanked by a small-paned window with some decorative leading. Full-height canted bay window to the left, with mullioned and transomed windows to ground floor, and small-paned casements above. Small casement window over the entrance.
Listed for its historical associations with Bersham ironworks, and as substantially an C18 house with alterations of c1890 which are also of definite character.
Other nearby listed buildings