This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0875 / 52°5'15"N
Longitude: -4.4844 / 4°29'3"W
OS Eastings: 229883
OS Northings: 246152
OS Grid: SN298461
Mapcode National: GBR D7.BLB6
Mapcode Global: VH3K7.7S4L
Plus Code: 9C4Q3GQ8+27
Entry Name: Plas Troedyraur
Listing Date: 15 March 1996
Last Amended: 15 March 1996
Source ID: 16675
Building Class: Domestic
Location: 1 Km E of Beulah, reached by drive running N off Brongest Road
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Early C19 country house built for the Rev. Thomas Bowen, vicar of Troedyraur, noted by Meyrick in 1810 as a celebrated agriculturalist. Called a "spacious mansion" in 1833. Passed in 1842 to James Bowen (1806-72), second son of James Bowen of Llwyngwair, Pmbs. It would seem that the main part of the house is early C19 with substantial remodelling c1840 when the E range was added. Two 1734 datestones, possibly reset, in outbuildings.
Situated about 1 km E of Beulah, reached by drive running N off Brongest road.
Whitewashed stucco and rubble stone with slate roofs and cut Cilgerran stone stacks. Two storeys, main square three-window range with added E range and long service ranges to W. Main block, stucco, three-window, hipped with end-wall and ridge stacks. Flat metope brackets to eaves, slate plinth, 12-pane first floor sashes, arched ground floor sashes with later stucco arched hoods on consoles, and arched centre 6-panel large door with traceried fanlight. Door is within big enclosed Roman Doric corniced porch of c1840 with paired column and pilaster each side, pilaster respond, cornice and flat roof. Arched side windows. East range projects slightly to N and S, hipped with matching eaves cornice. Three-window E front, formerly stuccoed
now painted rubble stone. Three 12-pane sashes over verandah, partly infilled. In verandah, to right of centre, two iron columns in front of canted bay with margin-glazed French windows and top-lights. N end has dummy first floor window, S end has first floor 12-pane sash and three ground floor margin-glazed casement pairs, originally carried down to floor level. Rear of main range has three first floor sashes, ground floor centre corniced slight projection with pair of plate-glass sashes under original traceried elliptical-arched traceried fan. Curved hoodmould on consoles. Plate-glass sash to left and margin-glazed French window to right, both with cornice on consoles. Verandah on iron columns in front of French window. Centre basement double 6-pane sash with elliptical fanlight, arched door to left. Service ranges, painted rubble stone. One range runs W from N front, with longer parallel SW range. S has broad two-window range to right, then cut-stone ridge stack over forward break, then shorter two-window range, half-hipped to W. Further range beyond, broken forward slightly, with lower roof, rubble stone ridge stack, hipped W end and scattered two-window range.
Probably altered c1840. Square entrance hall with modillion cornice, ceiling rose, and centre rear wall mahogany 6-panel door. Narrow room to left with similar cornice gives access to added E range. Apsidal timber staircase to right with curve backing onto N facade. Upper flight cantilevered. Stick balusters. Ceiling rose above. E end addition has former dining-room with two timber Ionic columns in N end recess, acanthus frieze, and gilt pelmets. Plain C19 fireplace W, arched recess each side, one with 6-panel door.
Included as a good late Georgian country house.
Other nearby listed buildings