This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0953 / 52°5'43"N
Longitude: -4.4837 / 4°29'1"W
OS Eastings: 229959
OS Northings: 247016
OS Grid: SN299470
Mapcode National: GBR D7.B0J5
Mapcode Global: VH3K7.7LHL
Entry Name: Glan Medeni
Listing Date: 15 March 1996
Last Amended: 15 March 1996
Source ID: 16676
Building Class: Domestic
Location: 1.2 Km S of Betws Ifan Crossroasds, approached by drive running W from Brongest Road. Situated some 1.2 km S of Betws Ifan crossroads, approached by drive running W from Brongest road.
Locality: Betws Ifan
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
1835 house built for Frances and Jane Walters, daughters of Abel Walters of Beddgeraint, Penbryn. Probably altered after 1881. The sisters left the house after an incident in the Rebecca Riots, 1843, and Jane Walters did not return until the 1860s. She built Watchtower Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, now house, in the grounds in 1865 and was buried there in 1881.
Rubble stone, formerly stuccoed, probably originally roughcast, with slate hipped roof, flat eaves and three brick side-wall stacks, originally stone. Two-storey, three-window W entrance front, slightly off-centre with unaligned stack. Two long arched windows each side with small-paned glazing, one to left crossed by stair, the one to right, renewed in C20, a dummy. Above, but not aligned are two ovals, infilled in red brick, but possibly formerly also dummy windows. Centre arched doorway with fanlight, in C20 gabled porch. Arched window above. Two-window S side with two later C19 bays to ground floor and two hornless 12-pane sashes above. Rear E has two windows above, one and narrow French window below. Wall-face stack. N side has wall-face stack and NE hipped service range with rear kitchen stack. Casement windows to W front and N end dairy lean-to.
Oddly planned interior with stair-hall to left, centre passage and two main rooms to S. Simple early C19 cornices, SW room cornice probably later with rose and leaf trail. SE room entry skewed to give depth for sideboard recess in N wall, arched narrow French window on E wall. Six-panel doors generally. Cellar under S side. Later C19 dog-leg stair to skewed passage, allowing room for irregular-shaped centre front dressing room. Early C19 fireplaces and cornices in main S rooms. Shutters. Large timber-lintel fireplace in service wing
Included as small late Georgian country house with unusual facade.
Other nearby listed buildings