This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5791 / 51°34'44"N
Longitude: -3.0028 / 3°0'10"W
OS Eastings: 330608
OS Northings: 187169
OS Grid: ST306871
Mapcode National: GBR J5.CPDY
Mapcode Global: VH7BC.WKXT
Plus Code: 9C3RHXHW+JV
Entry Name: Pavilion and attached Conservatories
Listing Date: 11 July 1996
Last Amended: 31 March 2000
Source ID: 16955
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: About 100m E of park entrance at junction of Waterloo Road and Stow Park Road.
Community: Stow Hill
Community: Stow Hill
Locality: Belle Vue Park
Built-Up Area: Newport
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Built 1910, by Thomas Mawson, landscape architect, also responsible for design of the park. Built from stone quarried in the construction of the park; the work was commissioned as unemployment relief.
Grey-brown stone, red terracotta dressings and string courses, red tiled roof. Dutch C17 style. Pavilion W entrance has shaped gable with steep pediment (ball finial), 2 round-headed windows below separated by pilaster. Two-storey terracotta pilasters support frieze with acanthus scroll (ball finials to ends). Large 5-light round-headed first floor window over closed balustrade with urn balusters. Round-headed entrance doorway flanked by terracotta artisan mannerist style pilasters supporting steep pediment with heraldic shield. At first floor level, outer bays have corner pilasters.
East front facing terrace similar but instead of first floor window has open loggia behind which is 4-light mullioned and transomed window with stained glass; simple square-headed entrance doorway.
To each side of the pavilion is a conservatory. Stone and terracotta plinth. Upper parts (heavily restored) in wood and glass. Advanced central gabled bays to front and rear (doorways to front), hipped glazed roofs above which are ventilators with smaller hipped roofs. Beyond conservatories, to each end, public convenience in matching materials.
Listed as prominent building in Belle Vue Park conservation area which is a Grade II entry in Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Wales.
Group value with adjacent terracing.
Other nearby listed buildings