This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0444 / 52°2'39"N
Longitude: -3.8198 / 3°49'11"W
OS Eastings: 275289
OS Northings: 240006
OS Grid: SN752400
Mapcode National: GBR Y3.F95B
Mapcode Global: VH4H7.QWZ4
Entry Name: Llyswen
Listing Date: 29 November 1995
Last Amended: 29 November 1995
Source ID: 16972
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on W side of village street, opposite Neuadd Fawr Arms.
Community: Cilycwm (Cil-y-cwm)
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Early to mid C19 house, and cottage to left. On the 1843 Tithe Map only the cottage appears to be built, though there was a building fronting onto Heol y Groes, then known as Plough House. The cottage was called part of Plough House. However in 1832 David Edwards devised to his daughter " the house that joins the pine end of the Mason's Arms" and "the dwellinghouse called the Mason's Arms with the brewhouse, stable and all gardens.." to his son. These appear to be the cottage and Old Post Office. Plough House appears to have been an ale-house, a grocer's shop in 1861 and later the Post Office.
Whitewashed rubble stone with slate roofs, and three stacks, rendered each end of old Post Office, C20 large square brick stack to left of cottage (shared with Ty Mawr). Two-storey, 3-window range to Old Post Office, timber cross-windows with stone voussoirs and keystones, similar head to centre half-glazed door. Ground floor left has good C19 shop front of door with overlight, aligned with window above, and window to left of 9 large panes. Iron railing in front of window. Rear has projection to left, centre door and 4-pane window above, lean-to to right. Llyswen has grey washed walls, similar voussoirs and keystones to door to right and one-window range of 5-pane horned sashes to left. Rear brick 2-storey lean-to addition.
Included for group value with Neuadd Fawr Arms and Cwm House.
Other nearby listed buildings