History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church House

A Grade II Listed Building in Llansanffraid Glan Conwy, Conwy

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.268 / 53°16'4"N

Longitude: -3.7948 / 3°47'41"W

OS Eastings: 280396

OS Northings: 376058

OS Grid: SH803760

Mapcode National: GBR 1ZYN.77

Mapcode Global: WH65B.P440

Entry Name: Church House

Listing Date: 5 January 1996

Last Amended: 5 January 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17022

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Prominently located on a triangular corner site, against the slope of a hill at the junction of Church Street and Top Llan Road.

County: Conwy

Community: Llansanffraid Glan Conwy

Community: Llansanffraid Glan Conwy

Built-Up Area: Llansanffraid Glan Conwy

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Llansantffraid Glan Conwy

History

Built as a church hall in 1932; by S Colwyn-Ffoulkes, architect of Colwyn Bay. The design bears similarities with that of St John's Church House, Old Colwyn, by the same architect, built 1935-7.

Exterior

Of buff brick on a moulded plinth with cable-moulded and dentilated string-courses and with tile-coped, roll-moulded parapets; hipped slate roof with tiled ridges to main block, with flat roofs to remainder. Asymmetrical arrangement of large main block running N-S, with lower range adjoining to E. The former has 3 pairs of elegant lancet-like windows with round-arched heads, splayed and moulded reveals and shaped labels; leaded glazing. Apse-like projection to the S with slit windows. The lower, E range has simple arched lights arranged in pairs, 2 flanking 3, each with splayed reveals and shared labels. Extruded in the corner between the main and subsidiary blocks is a bowed open porch with convex profiled slate roof, rising into an octagonal brick chimney of 2 stages. Concertina-type metal grill with internal double doors with lozenge decoration; segmental opening. The rear (E) face, against the rock, has been raised some twenty years ago to give a false roof over a top-lit corridor; corrugated iron roof.

Interior

Tiled porch with glazed double inner doors. Parish room, to L of entrance: of rectangular plan with rounded end walls giving oval impression; coved ceiling, parquet floor. Simple stepped brick fireplace to rounded W end, with tall, plain shelf recesses flanking to R and L. Axial corridor with 4 domed top-lights and doors off to R (opening into main hall) and L (to kitchen, store, toilets and fire exit). Main hall with wooden boarded floor and plain, compartmented ceiling. Exposed brick dado; plastered walls above. Wide chevron-carved wooden fascias above three double-door entrances (from corridor); similar decoration above S-end stage. This has a simple boarded front with arched-headed pilasters and wooden steps. Apsidal end with upper slit-lights; flat concrete ceiling.

Reasons for Listing

A finely-detailed and inventive example of the work of this important inter-war regional architect.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.