This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0446 / 52°2'40"N
Longitude: -3.2021 / 3°12'7"W
OS Eastings: 317652
OS Northings: 239154
OS Grid: SO176391
Mapcode National: GBR YY.F6CT
Mapcode Global: VH6BH.GV1Y
Plus Code: 9C4R2QVX+V5
Entry Name: Glasbury United Reformed Chapel
Listing Date: 18 January 1996
Last Amended: 18 January 1996
Source ID: 17174
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: The chapel is situated in a walled enclosure at the centre of the SE side of The Green, with its gable facing on to the Green.
Community: Glasbury (Y Clas-ar-wy)
Traditional County: Radnorshire
A Congregational chapel was an early establishment here, in 1682. The present building, built as a Congregational Chapel in 1866, formerly had a detached chapel house. It is now a United Reformed Chapel. The red brick cottage to the N, May Cottage, was built as the Manse in 1905 at the cost of £212.
Rock-faced squared sandstone rubble, with margin-draughted ashlar dressings. Slate roof. A large rectangular chapel in Gothic style, with angled corner buttresses rising above eaves as small square spirelets. Gabled front has a central panel slightly set forward, rising to crowning triple gables, and having lancet windows and a recessed dedication panel, and a quatrefoil with date 186(6). To either side, gabled entrance porches with painted outer arches and boarded doors, the bargeboards framed at collar level. Over both porches, pointed windows with wooden tracery. The side elevations have four elongated pointed windows with 'Y'-tracery and hood mouldings.
Rectangular, with a W gallery, and timber boarded lobbies below at each end giving access to the dog-leg gallery stair. Boarded ceiling with wide plaster margin, and circular plaster centre roundel. The gallery has a moulded cornice and panelled front, supported on one central iron column. The pulpit is sited against the E wall with arched hood mould over, and is approached by steps each side. Pew seating, for approximately 200 in 3 banks. Organ, by Guelph of Ontario. No sedd fawr. Brass to J.E.Morgan, sunday school superintendent.
Included primarily for group value as the dominant building on the Green, within the Conservation Area.
Other nearby listed buildings