This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4951 / 52°29'42"N
Longitude: -3.2524 / 3°15'8"W
OS Eastings: 315068
OS Northings: 289314
OS Grid: SO150893
Mapcode National: GBR 9V.HZWV
Mapcode Global: VH68B.KKY3
Entry Name: Brynllywarch Hall School
Listing Date: 12 September 1996
Last Amended: 12 September 1996
Source ID: 17282
Building Class: Education
Location: Located in woodland overlooking a precipitous slope with views to the NNW.
Community: Kerry (Ceri)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
The original house was rebuilt in 1829 by William Pugh (1783-1842) of Berriew, Deputy Lieutenant of the County (1807), financier and philanthropist, who supported the extension of the Montgomery Canal (1821), the building of Dolfor Road (1823), the introduction of steam power to Newtown's mills (1833), and who was a benefactor to the poor of Newtown. After his financial failure, exile and death in 1842, the property was acquired in 1841 by John Naylor of Leighton, banker of Liverpool, high sheriff c1850-60, (1889), the gardens becoming well known for their planting and giraffes looking out from the menagerie. The house was substantially extended for Christopher Leyland (Naylor), his son, in 1887, the architect being a Mr. J.E. Poundley, son of the County Surveyor. The house was sold in 1919, and subsequently became a school.
The 1829 house is in an Italianate style, with white painted and pebble-dashed brick walls, and shallow pitched slate roof with wide bracketed eaves. Triple round-headed windows of this building survive at the rear, and at the canted end of the rear wing. The 1887 extension at the front is of 3 storeys, yellow brick with limestone dressings, and slated roofs. This comprises a rectangular block, 3-bays x 2, with narrower 3-storey protruding bay the front having a semi-circular bay of two storeys carrying an open belvedere with a swept lead roof and crown carried on rustic cast iron stanchions. The NW corner is enclosed in a raised and glazed verandah carried on similar Beaux-Arts style ironwork with elaborate brackets covering the main double oak entrance doors. Four-pane sash windows. To the W, a 1½-storey service wing with a heavy bracketed gable, and a canted bay added c.1930. Arch-linked stack. To the rear a narrow service yard.
Lobby and entrance hall have ribbed plastered ceilings, oak carved dados, the lobby divided from the large hall by a carved and glazed oak screen. Open stair well to the rear of the hall, with a wide 2-flight stair having a fretted balustrade, initialled DT, and exhibiting in the well the N for Naylor. The earlier, rear section has a columned gallery at the head of the separate dog-leg stair. Painted marble fireplace in the staff room with tiled and cast iron 'convolvulus' surround.
Included for its association with an important figure in the C19 industrial history of Wales, and as an imposing C19 gentry house with ironwork detailing of exceptional quality..
Other nearby listed buildings