History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Capel Ty'nygwndwn (Independent)

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanfihangel Ystrad, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1751 / 52°10'30"N

Longitude: -4.1396 / 4°8'22"W

OS Eastings: 253787

OS Northings: 255142

OS Grid: SN537551

Mapcode National: GBR DP.51TV

Mapcode Global: VH4GH.6LDF

Entry Name: Capel Ty'nygwndwn (Independent)

Listing Date: 18 October 1996

Last Amended: 18 October 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17444

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Located on N side of B4342, 1km SE of Felinfach.

County: Ceredigion

Town: Lampeter

Community: Llanfihangel Ystrad

Community: Llanfihangel Ystrad

Locality: Felinfach

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Talsarn

History

Built 1835, gallery added 1861. Restored 1892. Early Independent cause, possibly late C17. Early fellowship led by Phillip Pugh (d1760). Embodied 1773. First chapel erected 1775, rebuilt 1815.

Exterior

Painted smooth rendered front, the other elevations, roughcast. Slate roof, timber eaves and barges. Lateral 4-bay facade with round arched windows, two tall ones to centre and shorter window above the door in each outer bay. 1892 glazing, 14-pane long windows, the others, 8-paned: thick central timber mullions and arched upper lights. Slate sills, painted window-heads. Doors with painted segmental heads, paired boarded doors and 2-pane overlights. Tablet between the tall windows inscribed:

"Ty'nygwndwn. O Addoldy yr Annibynwr. Adeiladwyd 1775. Ailadeiladwyd 1835. Adgweirywyd 1892".

First floor 16-pane window to each end. Rear with 12-pane sash windows, two to each storey.

Interior

Good gallery of 1861 running along three sides, the front with tall rectangular panels, iron columns with simple foliate caps. Pulpit, probably of 1892 on the entry wall, the centre with blind cusped panels on colonettes, curved balustraded sides and end stairs. Square newels, ball finials. Plaster surround behind pulpit, round-arched head on consoles. Big Seat with simple panelled surround. 1892 pews. Flat plaster ceiling with large centre rose.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its architectural interest as a late Georgian chapel with a well-preserved later C19 interior. Important early cause historically.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.