History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Capel Rhydygwain and attached house

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanfihangel Ystrad, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1641 / 52°9'50"N

Longitude: -4.1436 / 4°8'36"W

OS Eastings: 253480

OS Northings: 253926

OS Grid: SN534539

Mapcode National: GBR DP.5T05

Mapcode Global: VH4GH.4V9W

Entry Name: Capel Rhydygwain and attached house

Listing Date: 3 June 1964

Last Amended: 18 October 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 9809

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Situated on E side of B4332, 0.5km SW of Temple Bar.

County: Ceredigion

Town: Lampeter

Community: Llanfihangel Ystrad

Community: Llanfihangel Ystrad

Locality: Temple Bar

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Talsarn

History

Unitarian chapel built 1848. Restored 1873. Attached house later C19, probably added 1873.

Exterior

Chapel with roughcast facade, raised squared and painted dressed stone quoins. Slate roof. Deep bracketted eaves and barges. Three-bay lateral front. Central ground floor round-arched window with 18/8 hornless sash, upper intersecting glazing bars. Slate sill and painted head. Round-arched doorway each side with 10-pane fanlights, intersecting bars. Painted heads. C20 doors. First floor with a 12-pane horned rectangular sash window towards each end. Slate sills and painted heads. Round plaque betwen the two windows (painted surround) inscribed:

"Rhydygwin. Adeiladwyd y Ty Hwn yn y flwyddyn 1848".

Right end slate-hung with roughcast lean-to below. Rubble rear with two tall round-arched 12/6 sash windows, intersecting upper glazing.

Chapel House
Attached to left of chapel with painted smooth-rendered front. Roof and bracketted eaves continuous with those of chapel. Gable-end brick chimney stack. Two-bay 2-storey facade with 12-pane horned sashes, painted slate sills. Boarded door to right. Rubble left end with two sashes to first floor as front, slate sills and cambered Staffordshire blue brick heads.

Interior

All of 1873. Five-sided gallery on five cants. Front with long panels, panelled pilasters between. Plain cast-iron columns. Outer ranks of ground floor pews set at an angle. Long pulpit with timber balustraded front and end stairs. Square newels and ogee finials. Unusual trompe l'oeil painted round-arched frame behind pulpit. Bullnosed Big Seat with upper balustrade. Plaster ceiling with small centre rose.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a well-preserved early C19 chapel with good interior of 1873. and unspoilt attached chapel house.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.