This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2518 / 52°15'6"N
Longitude: -4.2287 / 4°13'43"W
OS Eastings: 247958
OS Northings: 263850
OS Grid: SN479638
Mapcode National: GBR DK.09QC
Mapcode Global: VH3JL.NN9N
Plus Code: 9C4Q7Q2C+PG
Entry Name: Felin Aberarth
Listing Date: 23 May 1996
Last Amended: 23 May 1996
Source ID: 17476
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Situated on E bank of Arth, on E side of lane running N from E end of Aberarth Bridge.
Community: Dyffryn Arth
Community: Dyffryn Arth
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Corn-mill of 1819, remodelled 1864 and l902. Mill site is recorded in 1540 copy of 1503 Strata Florida Abbey deed. Later part of Noyadd estate, Oakford, owned in 1630 to cl775 by Griffiths family, then Brooks to 1821, then Hon G.W. Edwardes to 1879. The mill was rebuilt 1819 by John Brooks. Leased 1864 to J. Phillips, Lanlas, who remodelled it, probably replacing the machinery. 1880 Mill sold to Rowland Pugh of Y Glyn Factory, Aberarth. Saw-mill and ancillary buildings added 1902 by his son-in-law E.T. Davies, builder, who bought mill 1904. Restored from 1988 by Peter Davis, owner. The water came via a long leat parallel to Arth, that also served Y Glyn Woollen Factory, to a mill-pond behind mill, system now disused, though cast-iron plug, lever operated from within mill survives.
Rubble stone with slate roof, the roof raised and extended out over parallel saw-mill in 1902. Two-storeys. W gable end shows three phases, 1819 date stone on left cornerstone, 1864 datestone reset below 1902 brick-headed loft window approximately at original gable level. 1902 plaque under present gable with roof carried down over timber-clad front of saw-mill to rubble-stone S. wall. Overshot mill-wheel with iron rim and hub, oak shaft and spokes, timber buckets, probably of 1865. Timber trough for water made from two halves of ship's mast found on beach. Former saw-mill to right has C20 boarding, ground floor door, first floor window and loft window. Three-window, two-storey S side, 12-pane windows with 1902 brick heads, door to ground floor third bay. Curved NE corner. E end has reset slate plaque in gable, `This mill erected by J. Brooks Esq 1819', window below with brick head and ground floor broad opening with timber lintel. Saw-mill addition has C20 boarding and windows each floor.
Re-roofed when widened 1902, but original back wall survives to first floor level. First floor beams and boards maybe of 1819 or 1864.
1864 machinery, Hurst possibly of 1819. Iron pit-wheel with wooden teeth, wooden spur wheel, line-shafting to two stones above, one French, one Anglesey. French stone is possibly unique example with two ventilation slots to cool grinding faces. Saw-mill machinery removed.
A well-preserved regional example of a smaller water-powered corn-mill with surviving machinery.
Other nearby listed buildings