History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Y Glyn Factory

A Grade II Listed Building in Dyffryn Arth, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2511 / 52°15'4"N

Longitude: -4.2278 / 4°13'39"W

OS Eastings: 248022

OS Northings: 263777

OS Grid: SN480637

Mapcode National: GBR DK.09Z8

Mapcode Global: VH3JL.NPT4

Entry Name: Y Glyn Factory

Listing Date: 23 May 1996

Last Amended: 23 May 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17477

Building Class: Industrial

Location: Situated to SE of Aberarth Bridge, behind Y Glyn.

County: Ceredigion

Community: Dyffryn Arth

Community: Dyffryn Arth

Locality: Aberarth

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Aberaeron

Exterior

History: 1865 former woollen mill, built by John Phillips of Lanlas, tenant here and at Aberarth Mill, land owned by Hon. G. Edwardes, as part of the Neuadd, Oakford, estate. Mill was operated by Rowland Pugh from 1866, and by his family until c1957.

Description: Whitewashed rubble stone with hipped slate roof. Square plan, single-storey front with door, ground-level square opening and two doors. Outbuilding attached to right corner with gable at right angles. One door. Side has first floor 12-pane sash. Rear wall is two-storey with loft door above window-door-window. Rounded corner to right. Set back to right is S side of main building. Two-storey here with two loft lights over two windows and centre broad door. Long rectangular opening to right and lean-to beyond, with door. Rear is over steep bank of minor stream. NE single storey outbuilding with breast-shot water-wheel on W side. Power for mill came from Arth, via a leat, and a concrete channel over stream gully.

A relatively early purpose-built woollen mill which retains its regional character.

Reference: Ceredigion 11 1992 366-9

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Laura
    Situated on E side of A 487, just NE of Aberarth Bridge.
  • II Bryndewi
    Situated by river Arth just SE of Pont Aberarth, facing NW over corner of minor lane to Llanddewi Aberarth church.
  • II Laura House
    Situated on E side of A 487, just NE of Aberarth Bridge.
  • II Pont Aberarth and attached abutment walls
    Situated on A 487 in centre of village, crossing River Arth.
  • II Alicia
    Situated just SW of Aberarth Bridge on S side of main road, A 487.
  • II Telephone Call-box (01545 570241)
    Situated on W bank of the river Arth, just E of Delfan.
  • II Delfan
    Situated some 30m down lane from A 487 to Bethel Chapel, on W side, facing N.
  • II Felin Aberarth
    Situated on E bank of Arth, on E side of lane running N from E end of Aberarth Bridge.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.