This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5312 / 52°31'52"N
Longitude: -3.4625 / 3°27'44"W
OS Eastings: 300888
OS Northings: 293594
OS Grid: SO008935
Mapcode National: GBR 9L.FN5R
Mapcode Global: VH5BK.XMWZ
Plus Code: 9C4RGGJQ+F2
Entry Name: Perth-eiryn
Listing Date: 5 November 1996
Last Amended: 5 November 1996
Source ID: 17556
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located on a farm road leading S off the main Newtown to Caersws road, 300m N of the village centre.
Community: Caersws (Caersŵs)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Perth-eiryn is a timber framed C17 farmhouse, altered c.1700-1730 by the application of a brick front on the W front, and with further additions to the rear and at the side after c.1890. It came to the Shropshire family of Sheynton by marriage in 1647 into the Price family, descendants of Ieuan Blaenau of Gregynog. Lewis Price died there in 1702. The estate was purchased by Lewis Gordon in 1752, whose son sold to Caire Adams, who in turn sold to David Davies MP in 1875. A dated timber, inscribed 1654, re-set in the brick front, probably dates the erection of the timber framed structure.
Two storeys, attic and cellar, timber framed, with slate roof, but a brick W front, and some framing painted on brickwork and corrugated iron. The main range consists of a hall and parlour with a gable stack, and a rear wing, forming a 'T'-plan, probably coeval, containing the present stair. The framing is close studded throughout, the S gable end jettied at gable level, and has tension braces. The W front is of Flemish bond brick, of 5 bays, with brick plat band and end pilasters, with further brick pilasters either side of the central bay containing the entrance to the former hall. The early smaller 5-bay equally spaced windows were replaced in early C19 with 2- and 3-light transomed timber windows with segmental heads, having iron casements and small panes. Over the C20 central glazed doors, a section of timber is built in bearing the date 1654. The brick stacks are rebuilt. Sash windows on the S front; oak cross windows at the side.
The hall parlour range has twin chamfered spine beams, and gable stacks, altered c.1960 when one fire beam was removed and re-used in the dining room of Plas Dinam, Llandinam. Some panelling reset over the former hall fireplace. C18 panelled doors. A stair of c.1900 with splat balusters probably replaces the original in the back wing, the end service room having a cellar under.
Included as a fine timber framed building with C18 brick front which is also of considerable quality.
Other nearby listed buildings