This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2144 / 53°12'51"N
Longitude: -3.7954 / 3°47'43"W
OS Eastings: 280204
OS Northings: 370094
OS Grid: SH802700
Mapcode National: GBR 64.1GHZ
Mapcode Global: WH65J.NGVN
Entry Name: Stable Range at Plas-yn-Llan including adjoining Carthouse complex
Listing Date: 12 November 1996
Last Amended: 12 November 1996
Source ID: 17561
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located immediately to the SE of the house and set with its back into a hill.
Community: Eglwysbach (Eglwys-bach)
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Late C17 stable range and tack room, built probably for Sir John Wynn, Baronet, subsequently the founder of the Williams-Wynn dynasty of Wynnstay. The range appears to have been constructed c.1684 as part of a series of modifications carried out which included the establishment of a terraced garden to the rear of the house and the provision of heraldic plaster overmantels to its hall and parlour. Originally the stables and tack room were separated; the gap was filled probably at the time the roof was raised and made continuous, in the mid C19 (one truss bears the date 1853). The majority of the main facade was rebuilt c.1946, although the tack room section has remained largely unchanged. A small C19 quadrangular court with cart bays adjoins to the S.
Long 2-storey rubble building with continuous slate roof. The 2-window tack room section is square and symmetrical, with a raised ground floor above a cellar; access to the latter is via a flight of sandstone steps at the R gable end. Central entrance via six segmental sandstone steps; original pegged oak doorcase with contemporary boarded door and simply-decorated iron hinges. Flanking this are tall, elegant cross windows of pegged oak, with modern wooden bars; above, under the eaves, are 2-light wooden mullioned windows, again original.
To the L, and in between the tack room and the stable proper, a single bay infill section with reduced entrance and exposed timber lintel. The adjoining stable section has 3 equally-spaced stable doors with 15-pane overlights; above these, under the eaves are fixed windows, also of 15 panes. These openings are all of c.1946. Further entrance to L gable end and a former loading bay above, now reduced to a ventilation slit. Two first-floor boarded doors with pegged frames to the raised rear. Adjoining to the S, a low C19 L-shaped carthouse addition, ranged around a quadrangular court to the side and rear of the stable block. Of rubble with old slate roofs and tiled ridges. The SE arm has a wide cart entrance with segmental brick arch and stone key; 2 plain cart openings to the R. The N arm has two further segmental arched entrances, as before, the eastern one partly collapsed.
Largely contemporary plaster finish to tack room section, with wide splays to the windows and chamfered inner faces to the mullions and transoms. Ogee-stopped-chamfered lateral ceiling beams and plain joists (originally plastered over). The stable section is of 5 bays with tall ceiling and beams as before; a later rubble partition wall bisects bay 4. Mid C19 roof with bolted roof trusses.
Included for group value with other listed items at Plas-yn-Llan.
Other nearby listed buildings