History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Rhiew

A Grade II Listed Building in Llandinam, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.47 / 52°28'11"N

Longitude: -3.4885 / 3°29'18"W

OS Eastings: 298984

OS Northings: 286824

OS Grid: SN989868

Mapcode National: GBR 9K.KFRM

Mapcode Global: VH5BY.H54V

Entry Name: Rhiew

Listing Date: 26 November 1996

Last Amended: 26 November 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17790

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located on a raised terrace overlooking the valley of the Wigdwr Brook, and accessed by a farm track leading E off the road running S from Oakley Park chapel, replacing the original hollow way approac

County: Powys

Community: Llandinam

Community: Llandinam

Locality: Oakley Park

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Llanidloes

History

Rhiew is a disused steading comprising the house, a barn at right angles at the N and an open fronted carthouse built of small pieces of shale, lying to the rear.
The timber framed house is of the C17, comprising a lobby entry to hall with inner room, divided as a parlour and a service room. Lean-to wash-house added behind stack, and beyond the original timber framed gable, an animal shed. The house was modernised c.1820-40, when the washhouse was added.

Exterior

Brick, laid in garden wall bond replacing the original framing except within the shed on the N gable end. Slate roof. Boarded door, and timber windows with small-pane iron casements, set in openings with cambered brick arches.

Interior

Unmodernised and well preserved. Hall (cegin) has a flagged floor and paired chamfered spine beams with ogee stops. Stack, probably originally timber framed now replaced with brick, has shaped settles each side, and a cast iron range with crane over. Oven to side of stack accessed from the wash-house or bakehouse to the rear. Stair, behind stack, enclosed in horizontal boarded enclosure. Parlour has raised timber floor with continuation of one spine beam. Service room, a dairy or pantry, has a lowered floor, a slate worktop and sink. The stair and upper floor all of c.1840 when the eaves were raised to provide attic accommodation. The original roof truss is preserved in the animal house, and consists of a tie with 3 struts to the collar and raking struts to the principals.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a well preserved example of a small farmhouse of early C19 character, encapsulating a C17 timber framed building with a vernacular interior of special interest.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Pwllpridd
    Located 0.5km SE of Oakley Park, along a short track leading to the former Pandy.
  • II Tyddyn
    Located on rising ground, looking S over the small well-wooded valley of the Wigdwr Brook.
  • II Tyddyn Cottage
    Located on rising ground, looking S over the small well-wooded valley of the Wigdwr Brook.
  • II Chapel House & Sunday School
    Located in the centre of Oakley Park.
  • II Berth-ddu barn
    The barn is located on a terrace of the Wigdwr Brook, some 0.5km SW of Berth-ddu farm, and is accessed across fields from the farmyard.
  • II Gilfach cottages
    The cottages stand close to the main Llandinam to Llanidloes road, approximately 3Km S of Llandinam village.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.