This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6602 / 51°39'36"N
Longitude: -4.7923 / 4°47'32"W
OS Eastings: 206965
OS Northings: 199408
OS Grid: SS069994
Mapcode National: GBR GC.BHVH
Mapcode Global: VH2PQ.WJBM
Entry Name: Former Railway Station
Listing Date: 12 March 1996
Last Amended: 12 March 1996
Source ID: 18021
Building Class: Transport
Location: Situated W of byroad from the A4139 to the Ridgeway.
Community: Manorbier (Maenorbŷr)
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
The Pembroke and Tenby Railway was incorporated in 1859. In 1862 Davies and Roberts of Denbigh were appointed contractors under an agreement to complete the works, including stations, by July 1864, but by 1863 the line was already open to public traffic. Manorbier station buildings were, therefore, completed in 1863 or `864. For a few months ‘Norchard’ (Manorbier?) was the Tenby terminus.
From W to E, the platform facilities consisted of : 1) Gentleman’s toilets; 2) Ladies’ waiting room and toilets; 3) Office and entrance, with a door right to: 4) General waiting room (with the bay window) and ticket window.
The railway became part of the Great Western Railway in 1897. Manorbier became an important station for services personnel. It was also very important for the local agricultural traffic. It became an unstaffed station in the ‘Beeching’ cutbacks of 1964. Steel-framed platform shelters were erected on both platforms, but those have now been removed and the original platform buildings and stationmaster’s house, in private ownership, are being restored.
The ‘up’ platform remains in railway use, the ‘down’ has been removed together with the passing loop.
An L-shaped single storey building consisting of a platform building facing S and a wing which was the Stationmaster’s house facing E to the road. The elevation to the platform is nearly symmetrical, with a central projecting window bay. The bay is in ashlar stonework, the elevation is otherwise rendered. Its roof has been restored. Gables to the platform at left and right with a recessed cross in the apex of each. Recessed windows with 8-pane sashes. Some sash windows have been replaced with fixed lights. Two blocked doorways (Ladies’ waiting room and entrance). Artificial slate roof with tile ridge and decorative bargeboards. The E (house) elevation has 2 sash windows and a central panelled door. Chimneys of hammer-faced ashlar with capping. The building is painted in a 2-tone colour scheme to GWR standard.
Most interior features are lost but original slate floor survives in the kitchen of the house.
Listed for local history importance and as the best preserved of the minor stations on the Pembroke and Tenby railway.
Other nearby listed buildings