This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6612 / 51°39'40"N
Longitude: -4.7747 / 4°46'29"W
OS Eastings: 208185
OS Northings: 199465
OS Grid: SS081994
Mapcode National: GBR GC.T8KD
Mapcode Global: VH2PR.6H4X
Plus Code: 9C3QM66G+F4
Entry Name: Norchard
Listing Date: 14 May 1970
Last Amended: 12 March 1996
Source ID: 5986
Building Class: Domestic
Location: 800 m S of the Ridgeway and 1 km E of Manobier Station
Community: Manorbier (Maenorbŷr)
Locality: Norchard Farm
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Tagged with: Building
Norchard estate was a very early freehold, located outside the open fields of Manobier. The owners were the Marichurch family from 1452 until 1673. Several Marichurches were Mayors of Tenby, and John Marichurch, who was owner in 1601, was styled gentleman in the manorial survey. In 1673 Norchard was taken by John Williams. It was later in the Bush Estate of the Meyrick family, where it was called the Demesne and Lordship on Norchard. In 1699 there was a deed to bar the entail. In the Bush Estate Norchard plan of 1772 there are as yet very few accompanying buildings with the house, but the farm or demesne was nearly 200 hectares. In 1976 Norchard Farm and house sold by the Bush Estate to Mr F Mathias, whose family had been tenants farming Norchard for several generations. It has long been a mixed farm.
The house contains mediaeval elements: the W and E ends of the main range are both vaulted over the ground storey. The room at W has twin vaults running E/W and the room at E has a single vault running N/S. These rooms are of similar size and are aligned with each other, and are evidently the surviving ends of a hall house, perhaps C15. At first storey level each has a lateral chimney projecting on corbels, located on the outer side, in evident symmetry.
In a major rebuild probably in the C17 a new centre section was constructed, slightly set back from the 2 vaulted wings. The roof of this phase survives at the E end of the house and over a large rear extension. The construction where the main and extension roofs join shows they are contemporary. A stone staircase was formed at the rear of the new main range for access to the first floor and a stone staircase within the main range, above the E vault, for access to the attic. The kitchen in the rear extension has chamfered beams but no ornamental stops.
In a second rebuild of the late C18 the house was re-fronted and rendered. Circular windows were added at the front in each wing gable. A central hallway and staircase were formed with a Chinese style balustrade to the stair well. A large lean-to was formed in the angle between the old rear extension and the main range.
Two storeys and attic, main range facing S, with symmetrical wings projecting slightly forward. Central section of 3 windows with central door. A large rear wing at right. The front elevation is rendered. The side and rear elevations are of local stone rubble, heavily whitened. Artificial slates.
The right end chimney (E) has 2 square stacks set diagonally and the lateral chimney of the rear wing has a single stack similarly. The rear extension end-chimney has one diagonal stack and one normal stack. External stone stairs at the left end (W) lead to the attic, which has unglazed barred openings facing the rear. Windows consist of replaced C19 sashes. In the front gables are circular windows (compare Gumfreston Farmhouse, also in Meyrick ownership). Six-panel entrance door.
High walls to front garden with embattled entrance arch. A large walled garden at W is now part of the farmyard.
Single-flight staircase with a closed string. Square balusters, chamfered newels, softwood handrail. Chinese balustrade to the floor-edge. Rear staircase of stone, much worn. Chamfered beams in the rear extension. Many doors of 2 panels, some H hinges. Barrel vaults to end rooms.
Listed Grade II* as a substantial house of leading importance with mediaeval origins.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings