This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6743 / 51°40'27"N
Longitude: -4.1715 / 4°10'17"W
OS Eastings: 249948
OS Northings: 199518
OS Grid: SS499995
Mapcode National: GBR GS.CKQW
Mapcode Global: VH3MJ.N52S
Entry Name: Carmarthenshire Dock west quay
Listing Date: 10 June 1996
Last Amended: 10 June 1996
Source ID: 18042
Building Class: Maritime
Location: Located on the west bank of the Afon Lliedi adjacent to North Dock.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Carmarthenshire Dock was built c1799 by the local industrialist Alexander Raby as a shipping point for his coal and iron. A tramroad was built from the canal to Raby's furnace at Cwmddyche at the same time. In 1802 the Act was passed for the 'Carmarthenshire Railway or Tramroad' to be built from the dock to limestone quarries west of Llandybie. The tramroad was opened in 1803, making it by a few weeks the earliest autonomous public railway in Britain. The engineer was James Barnes, who was also responsible for the company's reconstruction of Carmarthenshire Dock in 1804-6. This included constructing a new quay on the west bank of the river, a connecting wall to the east quay, and a weir and reservoir. The dock remained busy throughout the nineteenth century. The dock continues to be used to moor small boats.
A well constructed stone quay built in 1805. The quay is straight and level from its northern end at the former tranroad bridge and extends for some 170m roughly southwards. It is crossed near its southern end by a modern road bridge. It is constructed of dressed sandstone, carefully coursed, with large sandstone copings. The wall is approximately 6m high from the current silt level in the Afon Lliedi, and is slightly battered to the base. It is thought to be tied to a concealed stone dock floor.
Listed as an important surviving structure from Llanelli's early industrial development, and linked with the first public railway opened in Britain.
Other nearby listed buildings