This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3607 / 52°21'38"N
Longitude: -3.1119 / 3°6'42"W
OS Eastings: 324375
OS Northings: 274214
OS Grid: SO243742
Mapcode National: GBR B1.SJHC
Mapcode Global: VH76G.0XPM
Plus Code: 9C4R9V6Q+76
Entry Name: Pentrusco Farmhouse and attached agricultural range.
Listing Date: 17 December 1996
Last Amended: 24 August 2004
Source ID: 18056
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Approximately 300m E of Heyop church, reached by private road S of a minor road between Heyop and Knucklas.
Community: Beguildy (Bugeildy)
Traditional County: Radnorshire
An C18 house with mildly Georgian external character but retaining elements of vernacular internal planning. The cow house at R angles may have been adapted from an earlier timber-framed house. An adjacent barn dated 1678 indicates that an earlier house stood here.
A farmhouse with cow house at right angles, forming an L-shaped plan. The 3-storey farmhouse has whitewashed rubble stone walls and hipped tile roof. The 3-window front has a central boarded door under an added canopy. Windows are iron-framed casements. To the L of the doorway is a 2-light window under a segmental head, with 2-light window under a lintel to the R. The middle storey has 2-light windows R and L and a smaller fixed landing window in the centre, under segmental heads except for the lintelled R-hand window. The upper storey has a small casement to the R beneath the eaves, and a small casement to the L added in the 1990s. The L end wall has an added lean-to which, facing the front, has a 2-light casement in the lower storey and small fixed attic window. The side wall of the lean-to has a boarded door offset to the L and 2-light casement below the eaves. The rear of the main range has a shallow outshut (shown on the 1842 Tithe map), rebuilt of rendered brick on an earlier stone plinth. It has 2 pointed windows with Y-tracery incorporating small-pane iron-frame casements. An added late C20 projection further L, against the R side wall of the house and behind the farm range, conceals a narrow stair window.
The cow house is part timber-framed with weatherboarded front, with stone gable end with lean-to (in process of rebuilding at the time of inspection) and corrugated iron roof. Facing the yard it has 3 boarded doors and a loft opening. The rear wall is part rubble-stone and part corrugated iron.
The house retains elements of a traditional hall plan despite its symmetrical front. The entrance leads into the hall, on the L side, which has a lateral fireplace with timber lintel, and a single stopped spine beam. On the R side is a timber-framed partition to a small inner room, behind which is the stair. The full-height dog-leg stair has plain balusters and a plain newel to the middle storey, but has no balusters to the upper storey. Beneath the stair is a boarded door and stone steps to a cellar. The lower landing retains old floorboards. The roof has tie beams with diagonal struts.
The cow house retains some timber framing, king-post roof trusses with raking struts, pole joists to lofted areas, and stalls. Floors are cobbled or stone flagged.
Listed for its special architectural interest as an C18 farmhouse retaining Georgian character and good interior plan form and detail.
Other nearby listed buildings