This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5753 / 52°34'30"N
Longitude: -3.6409 / 3°38'27"W
OS Eastings: 288899
OS Northings: 298758
OS Grid: SN888987
Mapcode National: GBR 9C.BS84
Mapcode Global: WH68Q.1JJL
Plus Code: 9C4RH9G5+4J
Entry Name: Gellidywyll
Listing Date: 31 January 1997
Last Amended: 31 January 1997
Source ID: 18123
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The house, formerly a farmhouse, is located on the W side of the minor road to Rhiwgan, which leads off the road from Bont-dolgadfan to Talerddig.
Community: Llanbrynmair (Llanbryn-mair)
Locality: Bont Dolgadfan
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
The building is of 2-storeys, 3 bays, late medieval in origin, subsequently altered at various times, with the addition of a two storey 2-bay rear wing in the C17, and quality refitting in the early-mid C18. It was restored by the Winteringham Stable Estate in 1907.
Originally timber framed, the outer wall framing replaced with stone in the C18, leaving the main posts, and with slate roofs. Central entrance with glazed door raised well above the roadway, and covered with an open timber framed porch of 1907. Six-paned timber cross windows, one first floor retaining large leaded lights in an iron casement. The rear wing has a very large lateral stack, separately gabled to the E, its E wall extended under a lean-to and provided with a further gable stack, all probably in the C19. Cellar under the W bay, with formerly external accesses. Date stone on W end gable having shield and inscription RESTORATA / 19 D.W.S.07.
Square hallway occupies the central bay, with a fine dog-leg flying stair of c.1720-40 having three turned oak balusters to each elm tread. To left, a living kitchen, with twin deeply chamfered spine beams with bold ogee stops. Timber framed cross partitions. To right of hall, an C18 2-panelled door leads to the parlour, with further joinery of the C18. Door to the rear of the hall leads to the former kitchen, with very large lateral stack and fire beam over. Second bay of wing remodelled c.1907. Roof consists of large scantling cruck-like principal rafters, possibly originally full crucks, but now raised on substantial tie beams, having pegged mortices for arch braces to the collars, the central bay smoke blackened from a former open fire.
Included as a house of special interest for retaining substantial evidence of medieval construction, with an open hall, modified by the insertion of a floor; C18 and early C20 remodelling work of high quality.
Other nearby listed buildings