This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.695 / 51°41'41"N
Longitude: -4.812 / 4°48'43"W
OS Eastings: 205752
OS Northings: 203325
OS Grid: SN057033
Mapcode National: GBR GB.SBPC
Mapcode Global: VH2PJ.JNYH
Entry Name: Sadgeston Hall and Granary
Listing Date: 6 February 1997
Last Amended: 6 February 1997
Source ID: 18214
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At N side of the A477 in the village of Sageston, 100 m W of the junction with the B4318. The house is end-on to the road but stands back behind lawns and gardens, with the granary to its rear. There
Community: Carew (Caeriw)
Built-Up Area: Sageston
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
The older part is an C18 two-storey farmhouse with a rear wing, to which a three-storey part has been added. The property is part of the Carew Estate. It is probably the same as the 'Upper House' in Sageston leased to Thomas Codd in 1769. The tenant in 1840 was John Codd. From the mid-C19 the house and farm were tenanted by the Griffiths family.
In the early C19 a large granary building was added at the N of the house. John Codd, the tenant in 1840, only farmed 21 acres but is described in the Census as a merchant. By 1863 the granary building has been greatly extended to the W side, including the construction of two large corn driers or malting ovens.
House partly of three and partly of two storeys, with a range of four windows facing E towards gardens and farmyard. Rough-cast stonework at the front. The S and W walls are slate-hung. Slated roofs. Brick chimneys at the ends of the higher roof and one at the end of the lower roof. Four-pane windows with sashes, late C19. In the older two-storey part one upper window is a nine-pane fixed light. Each part has a separate entrance: the door of the older section is wide and low, vertically boarded, with a timber architrave. The door of the later part is of six panels, in a simple porch with trellis sides.
A three-storey building of coursed large rubble masonry. Slated roof hipped at the N end. Barred windows and plain boarded doors. At the rear of the ground storey are two very large drying or malting ovens of inverted pyramid form in brickwork with central cockles.
House: Stairs turret at the rear of the three-storey part; four dogleg flights with a simple handrail on very thin square balusters. Six-panel doors to the ground storey reception rooms, four panel doors elsewhere.
Listed as a corn merchant's house retaining its vernacular character, together with an early/mid-C19 granary with additional drying or malting arrangements on an exceptionally large scale.
Other nearby listed buildings