History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pincheston Quarry Limekiln

A Grade II Listed Building in Carew, Pembrokeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6943 / 51°41'39"N

Longitude: -4.8013 / 4°48'4"W

OS Eastings: 206489

OS Northings: 203223

OS Grid: SN064032

Mapcode National: GBR GC.87J3

Mapcode Global: VH2PJ.QPL0

Entry Name: Pincheston Quarry Limekiln

Listing Date: 6 February 1997

Last Amended: 6 February 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18212

Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence

Location: Opposite Pincheston Quarry, on the E side of a minor lane S of the A477 and 500 m E of Sageston village.

County: Pembrokeshire

Town: Tenby

Community: Carew (Caeriw)

Community: Carew

Locality: Pincheston

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Carew

History

A large limekiln probably built c.1800. On the Tithe map (1840) the site is called 'the Knap', and it is evidently a detached corner of the field on the opposite side of the lane called 'the Baulk'. In the latter was Pincheston limestone quarry.

In an agreement dated 1806 Michael Llewhellin was granted the use on the kiln, in wording which suggests he had just built it. He was to pay £15 per annum and received permission to employ no more than two men quarrying and two men working the kiln. (If he wished to employ more men he would be obliged to build a second kiln.)

Exterior

A large kiln of rubble limestone, about 4 m in height. The kiln is of the usual local semi-circular type but irregular. A ramp leads up from the S. The openings are at the N and the SE. Beside the latter opening is a rough semi-circular buttress. Over the N opening the masonry is raised to a point in the manner of a gable, suggesting there was a large shed adjoining. The bowl of the kiln has been completely filled with recent tipping.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a well-preserved kiln of early C19 type, with some signs of an adjacent building and a documented history.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Sadgeston Hall and Granary
    At N side of the A477 in the village of Sageston, 100 m W of the junction with the B4318. The house is end-on to the road but stands back behind lawns and gardens, with the granary to its rear. There
  • II Bartlett's Well
    At N side of Bird's Lane in Sageston, NE of the village school.
  • II Milepost opposite turning to Pisgah
    On the A4075 opposite the turning to Pisgah, 1.5km approx NE of Carew Village
  • II East Jordanston Farmhouse
    To the N of an unclassified road, about 1 km NW of St. Florence village.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.