This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.053 / 53°3'10"N
Longitude: -3.9042 / 3°54'15"W
OS Eastings: 272464
OS Northings: 352329
OS Grid: SH724523
Mapcode National: GBR 60.CL2T
Mapcode Global: WH554.0J4D
Plus Code: 9C5R333W+58
Entry Name: Nos 1and 2 Tan-y-Castell
Listing Date: 17 February 1997
Last Amended: 17 February 1997
Source ID: 18254
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located immediately to the S of the road and slightly below its level, some 300m E of Dolwyddelan Castle.
Locality: Dolwyddelan Castle
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Vernacular farmhouse, dated (internally) 1735, though perhaps of late C17 origin; altered, raised and extended later C19. A mid-Victorian photograph shows the house as single-storey and very much in disrepair. Significant as the birthplace of John Jones (1796-1857), famous Calvinistic Methodist minister. He is regarded as one of the most powerful preachers ever known in Wales, having introduced a new style which laid emphasis on the practical, rather than the doctrinal side of religion. Also birthplace of his brothers David Jones (1805-1868), William Jones (1801-1885) and Richard Jones (1799-1850), all also Calvinistic Methodist preachers, of whom David's publications and hymns became well-known at the end of the C19 .
L-shaped 2-storey farmhouse, now two separate dwellings. Of rubble, partly on a boulder plinth; slate roofs and plain stacks with weathercoursing and cornice. Of these, that to the E gable projects and is gabled. The S (garden) side has a raised 3-window central section with lower flanking sections. Off-centre modern gabled porch to former with plain bargeboard. C20 2-pane casement windows, those to the upper floor contained within gabled half-dormers; the central upper window is leaded. Similar windows to 2-bay L and single-bay R sections, to both floors. Similar windows to N side with modern gabled porch to L. To the R, a small projecting storeyed wing faces N; modern part-glazed door to this at L with windows as before and plain end chimney. Attached to the E gable, a large late C19 slate tablet with Welsh dedication inscription and the names of the 'three ministers and one deacon,' who were brothers, together with the names and dates of their sisters.
Largely plain, late C19 interiors. In No.2, the former 'preaching room', with fireplace bressummer inscribed with date 1735; large-field pine dado panelling to the walls, apparently C19.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a C17 vernacular farmhouse and for its special historic interest as the birthplace and home of John, David, Richard and William Jones, the early C19 non-conformist ministers.
Group value with the Tan-y-Castell monument.
Other nearby listed buildings