History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

House including Wall and Railings to Bethlehem Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanfair Caereinion, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6637 / 52°39'49"N

Longitude: -3.3496 / 3°20'58"W

OS Eastings: 308822

OS Northings: 308185

OS Grid: SJ088081

Mapcode National: GBR 9Q.5CZ0

Mapcode Global: WH79L.J95S

Entry Name: House including Wall and Railings to Bethlehem Chapel

Listing Date: 1 April 1996

Last Amended: 1 April 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18361

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located alongside the main road to Meifod, 550m from Neuadd Bridge junction with the A458. The main entrance is approached directly from the road by a cobbled path, the forecourt is enclosed by cast-

County: Powys

Community: Llanfair Caereinion

Community: Llanfair Caereinion

Locality: Dolgead

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Llanfair Caereinion

History

Built for the Calvinistic Methodists in 1834 at a cost of £200 to seat 135 and shown as Penybrin Chapel and House on the Tithe Map. The Welsh Presbyterian Church of Llanfair Caereinion has two daughter chapels, The Bethlehem Chapel at Dolgead and Capel Soar near Melin-y-grug. The original square building had a single door in the SW side approached by a path. This was altered in 1884 (date on porch gable), when the adjoining house was rebuilt, and two doors made in the front facing the road and covered by a long lean-to porch. There as also a stable for the minister’s horse.

Exterior

Single Chapel room with N porch and two storey, two-bay house added at W end. Rock-faced local dark stone with a slate roof. The lean-to porch has a central gable over a boarded door, with side lancets. The main body of the chapel has two windows on each of three sides with margin glazed timber ‘Y’-tracery, those to the front having flashed yellow glass and applied frosting. The caretaker’s house is of one bay, with side door, and two rooms on each of two floors. Modern windows in original openings.

Interior

Seats c100 persons. Walls plastered up to a Gothic moulded frieze at the base of a coved ceiling, which has a central roundel. Cantilevered pulpit raised against an arched feature on the SE wall with moulded hood, and panelled sedd fawr below.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a good example of a small rural chapel with added minister’s house.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.