This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.068 / 52°4'4"N
Longitude: -4.2177 / 4°13'3"W
OS Eastings: 248082
OS Northings: 243392
OS Grid: SN480433
Mapcode National: GBR DL.CSKB
Mapcode Global: VH3KK.V930
Entry Name: Bwlchbychan
Listing Date: 25 April 1997
Last Amended: 25 April 1997
Source ID: 18367
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated some 700m SW of Brynteg chapel, in its own grounds facing SE over the Teifi valley.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Country house built 1849-51 for John Pugh Pryse, younger son of Pryse Loveden Pryse of Gogerddan. J.P.Pryse had built a country house at Peithyll, near Gogerddan in 1844, but this was apparently given up to his brother E.L.Pryse c1850. The house at Bwlchbychan bears some similarities, particularly the curved bays, to Alltlwyd, Llansantffraed, Cards.,a house of 1832-3 by Edward Haycock of Shrewsbury.
Sandstone rubble, probably originally roughcast or stuccoed, with tooled sandstone dressings and slate hipped roofs. Corniced stone ridge stacks. Two-storey, six-window S front, with 3-window E and W sides and slightly lower 6-window service range behind. Deep bracketed eaves. Plinth, tooled flush quoins and voussoirs. S front has six 12-pane first floor hornless sashes and two semi-circular three-window ground floor stone bays with French windows and top-lights. Rough stepped cornices to flat roofs, probably intended for moulded stucco. E side has similar three first floor windows, above ground floor French windows to left and right. Slightly off-centre big rounded porch, similar to front bays. Flat-roofed but possibly originally with larger cornice and roof or parapet (see mark on wall above). Curved double half-glazed doors with big two-light curved top-light. Single light with top-light each side.
Service wing is large, double-pile with hipped valley roofs. Corniced stack on each ridge. Five-window range,of regular 9-pane sashes above and 12-pane below.
End wall has 6-panel door with overlight and 9-pane sash above.
Spine corridor with stone and slate paving, Ribbed plaster ceiling. Off to right of centre is staircase, apsidal-ended with stick balusters and moulded rail. Hall is top-lit from octagonal lantern, altered in C20. Two main front rooms open off corridor, plaster cornices, marble fireplaces. SE room has thick vine motif to ceiling border and acanthus over egg-and-dart to cornice. Sideboard recess to right. 6-panel doors. Upper main bedrooms are at corners of house lit from two sides, with dressing rooms in centre. Service wing has slate paved spine corridor.
Listed as a good late Georgian style country house, of a scale unusual in the region.
Other nearby listed buildings