History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable and Coach-house Range at Bwlchbychan

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanwenog, Ceredigion

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0687 / 52°4'7"N

Longitude: -4.2178 / 4°13'4"W

OS Eastings: 248079

OS Northings: 243464

OS Grid: SN480434

Mapcode National: GBR DL.CSHS

Mapcode Global: VH3KK.V82H

Entry Name: Stable and Coach-house Range at Bwlchbychan

Listing Date: 25 April 1997

Last Amended: 25 April 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18368

Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence

Location: Situated some 100m N of Bwlchbychan, backing onto lane from Llanwenog to Waunifor.

County: Ceredigion

Community: Llanwenog

Community: Llanwenog

Locality: Brynteg

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Rhyd Owen

History

Lofted coach-house and stable range built in 1850 for John Pugh Pryse, younger brother of Sir Pryse Pryse Bt of Gogerddan, for whom Bwlchbychan was built in 1849-51.

Exterior

Rubble stone with cut sandstone dressings. Two-storey long range with hipped slate roof and flat boarded eaves. Ground floor openings have heads with recessed cut-stone voussoirs and raised keystones. From left: three windows to stable, broad arched stable entry, and one similar centre window, then three similar broad arched coach-entries. Windows are cross-windows with small panes. Arches are elliptical and have simple raised impost blocks. Stable arch has incised inscription "J.P.P. Esq 1850". Four loft lights above, one over stable arch, one over centre window, and two, not aligned over coach-house arches. Small-paned casement pairs.
Ledged double doors with strap hinges to coach-entries. Within stable entry are stairs to loft.
Rear has two first floor windows to left, then wall-face chimney. To right is a parallel rear range also with hipped roof. Three loft windows, similar to those on front, left end cambered-headed window
and door, right end lean-to with raised roof.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a particularly well-designed coach-house and stable range with fine cut sandstone dressings.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Bwlchbychan
    Situated some 700m SW of Brynteg chapel, in its own grounds facing SE over the Teifi valley.
  • II Barn at Frongoy Farm
    Situated at end of long unmetalled drive off side lane from Capel Waunifor to Blaenborthyn Farm.
  • II Frongoy Farmhouse
    Situated at end of long unmetalled drive off side lane from Capel Waunifor to Blaenborthyn Farm.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.