History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old School

A Grade II Listed Building in Bettws (Betws), Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5626 / 52°33'45"N

Longitude: -3.2955 / 3°17'43"W

OS Eastings: 312275

OS Northings: 296869

OS Grid: SO122968

Mapcode National: GBR 9T.CM95

Mapcode Global: WH7B0.BVYB

Entry Name: The Old School

Listing Date: 25 April 1997

Last Amended: 25 April 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18419

Building Class: Education

Location: On the N side of the circular churchyard of St Beuno, on raised ground above the village.

County: Powys

Community: Bettws (Betws)

Community: Bettws

Locality: Bettws Cedewain

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Bettws Cedewain

History

National School of 1852, which was superseded by a new school in 1897. It has subsequently been used as a parish hall.

Exterior

A simple school room of brick with slate roof. End brick stack to R, part renewed, projecting boarded eaves. Centrally placed porch has a dated plaque (1852) above the doorway, and a boarded door under a flat brick arch (and small fixed light in L side wall). Either side of porch is a window under a flat brick arch with exaggerated splay (4-light with transom to R, replaced to L). In gable to L 3-light window with transom under segmental head. Integral lean-to under slate roof to rear (gable to R has corrugated iron lean-to).

Interior

Single classroom; king post roof with diagonal struts.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for the special interest of a small schoolroom located in a churchyard, and for group value with the Church of St Beuno.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II* Church of St Beuno
    Located in a circular churchyard, on high ground overlooking the village of Bettws Cedewain.
  • II The Vicarage
    Located on raised ground 200m NE of church, on N side of minor road from Bettws Cedewain to Berriew and reached by a short private road.
  • II Glan Bechan
    Located approximately 1.3km S of Bettws Cedewain church on S side of a minor road near to junction with B4389. The house has farm buildings on the E side.
  • II Highgate
    Located approximately 1.9km SW of Bettws Cedewain church on E side of minor road from Tregynon to Newtown, immediately N of junction with a minor road to Pontyperchill.
  • II The Old Glyn
    Located approximately 1.9km NE of Bettws Cedewain church, and reached at the end of a track at the end of a farm road to Glyn Farm on S side of minor road between Bettws Cedewain and Brooks.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.