History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Glan Bechan

A Grade II Listed Building in Bettws (Betws), Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5518 / 52°33'6"N

Longitude: -3.29 / 3°17'23"W

OS Eastings: 312630

OS Northings: 295663

OS Grid: SO126956

Mapcode National: GBR 9T.D8NH

Mapcode Global: VH683.X4L4

Entry Name: Glan Bechan

Listing Date: 10 March 1953

Last Amended: 25 April 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 7553

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located approximately 1.3km S of Bettws Cedewain church on S side of a minor road near to junction with B4389. The house has farm buildings on the E side.

County: Powys

Community: Bettws (Betws)

Community: Bettws

Locality: Bechan Valley

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Bettws Cedewain

History

Dated 1651. Belonged to the Gregynog Estate until 1920s when sold. Roof renewed and lean-to added 1980s.

Exterior

L-shaped timber framed house of 2 storeys with lobby entry, consisting of main range with N wing. Timber framing in square panels (with brick nogging) and tension bracing, partly renewed in brick painted black and white; renewed slate roof with axial brick stack. Fenestration consists of lately renewed wooden casements in earlier openings. W gable of main range, facing the road, is richly treated, having ornate moulded brackets beneath a jettied tie beam which has a moulded soffit and is carved with the date 1651. The gable has painted quatrefoils. In the lower storey is a C19 bay with 3-light window. The front elevation has scattered fenestration (and porch at the angle with the N wing added late C20, lean-to on E side also added recently).

Interior

Not accessible at the time of inspection (October-November 1996).

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a good example of the C17 timber framed tradition in Montgomeryshire, with richly-decorated W gable as frontispiece.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Pontyperchill Farmhouse
    Located 1.7km S of Bettws Cedewain church and reached by a short farm road on W side of B4389.
  • II Pont y Perchyll
    Located approximately 1.8km S of Bettws Cedwain church on the B4389 between Bettws Cedewain and Aberbechan, E of a junction with a minor road to Highgate.
  • II Little Aberbechan
    Located in a raised position on or adjacent to the Aberbechan dike. Possible platform site with a steep fall to the SW.
  • II* Church of St Beuno
    Located in a circular churchyard, on high ground overlooking the village of Bettws Cedewain.
  • II The Vicarage
    Located on raised ground 200m NE of church, on N side of minor road from Bettws Cedewain to Berriew and reached by a short private road.
  • II The Old School
    On the N side of the circular churchyard of St Beuno, on raised ground above the village.
  • II Highgate
    Located approximately 1.9km SW of Bettws Cedewain church on E side of minor road from Tregynon to Newtown, immediately N of junction with a minor road to Pontyperchill.
  • II Brynycil Farmhouse
    Located on S side of a minor road between Bettws Cedewain and Berriew, approximately 1.8km E of Bettws Cedewain church. The farmhouse is reached by a short farm road, and faces a yard with farm build

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.