History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sundial in churchyard, Church of St Garmon.

A Grade II Listed Building in Castle Caereinion, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6407 / 52°38'26"N

Longitude: -3.2377 / 3°14'15"W

OS Eastings: 316346

OS Northings: 305487

OS Grid: SJ163054

Mapcode National: GBR 9W.6PK7

Mapcode Global: WH79N.7WHG

Entry Name: Sundial in churchyard, Church of St Garmon.

Listing Date: 13 June 1997

Last Amended: 13 June 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18486

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: The sundial is located in the graveyard, approximately 5m SW of the SW corner of the church tower.

County: Powys

Town: Castle Caereinion

Community: Castle Caereinion (Castell Caereinion)

Community: Castle Caereinion

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Llangyniew

History

A fine brass sundial of 1764, set, perhaps at a slightly later date, on an C18 pedestal.

Exterior

The limestone pedestal is of inverted baluster form, set on a moulded base. Moulded cap terminating in a small square block, on which is mounted a brass plate dial by O. Ratcliff of Pool (Welshpool), complete with gnomon, dated 1764, and giving the latitude as 53 degrees 30' N.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a fine example of a sundial by a well-known maker, set on an approximately contemporary shaft.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Church of St Garmon
    The church is set at the centre of the nucleated village, in the sub-rectangular former bailey of the castle, with a motte at the N corner. The motte is a scheduled ancient monument, 6/2203/Mg117.
  • II Red Lion Inn
    Located at the centre of the village on the perimeter of the churchyard, and a short distance E of the E end of the church.
  • II Orchard Cottage and Brookside
    Located at the sharp bend at the N end of the village where the road departs from the perimeter of the churchyard.
  • II The Old Rectory
    The building lies near the centre of the village, approximately 100m SW of the parish church.
  • II Pen-y-llwyn, also known as Penllwyn.
    Located on a platform site, SW of Castle Caereinion village, and reached by a rising track from off the B4385, approximately 400m S of the church.
  • II Middle Sylfaen Farmhouse
    The farmhouse stands approximately 200m back from the main Welshpool to Machynlleth road, at the E end of the farm buildings.
  • I Ty Mawr
    Located on a platform site adjacent to the by-road leading SW off the B4345 to Berriew, S of Castle Caereinion.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.