History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Castle Caereinion, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6397 / 52°38'23"N

Longitude: -3.2384 / 3°14'18"W

OS Eastings: 316296

OS Northings: 305385

OS Grid: SJ162053

Mapcode National: GBR 9W.6WXD

Mapcode Global: WH79N.7X56

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 13 June 1997

Last Amended: 13 June 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18488

Building Class: Domestic

Location: The building lies near the centre of the village, approximately 100m SW of the parish church.

County: Powys

Town: Castle Caereinion

Community: Castle Caereinion (Castell Caereinion)

Community: Castle Caereinion

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Llangyniew

History

The rectory was built in c.1852, the architect unknown, to replace an earlier timber-framed parsonage house. The rector, David Davies, obtained financial help from Queen Anne's Bounty towards the £1,500 required, using John Beggeley as builder. The new building included a drawing room, dining room, kitchen and servant's hall, with '4 good chambers' over, as well as kitchen offices and outhousing. The accommodation was extended into the roof spaces in c.1874 by the diocesan architect for the Rev Green.

Exterior

Built of brick in Flemish bond with stone dressings, some now painted. Asymetrical design, 3 storeys and attics, two and a half bays, the left bay set slightly forward and gabled with 9-course deep kneelers to stone copings, which rise to a roll terminal. The porch has a similar coped gable over the main front entrance; a chamfered basket arch and a pair of glazed doors with trefoil heads. Ogee painted stone cornice forming a sill band. Twelve-paned sashes with crown glass, set in eared stone surrounds, each with a slight cornice. Chamfered brick eaves. The right bay has a single light in a coped dormer. To the right, two parallel roofed lower 2-storey service wings with a 2-light paned casement window beneath the eaves.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a well preserved example of a rectory built for a resident incumbent during a period of agricultural and ecclesiastical prosperity.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Sundial in churchyard, Church of St Garmon.
    The sundial is located in the graveyard, approximately 5m SW of the SW corner of the church tower.
  • II Orchard Cottage and Brookside
    Located at the sharp bend at the N end of the village where the road departs from the perimeter of the churchyard.
  • II Church of St Garmon
    The church is set at the centre of the nucleated village, in the sub-rectangular former bailey of the castle, with a motte at the N corner. The motte is a scheduled ancient monument, 6/2203/Mg117.
  • II Red Lion Inn
    Located at the centre of the village on the perimeter of the churchyard, and a short distance E of the E end of the church.
  • II Pen-y-llwyn, also known as Penllwyn.
    Located on a platform site, SW of Castle Caereinion village, and reached by a rising track from off the B4385, approximately 400m S of the church.
  • I Ty Mawr
    Located on a platform site adjacent to the by-road leading SW off the B4345 to Berriew, S of Castle Caereinion.
  • II Middle Sylfaen Farmhouse
    The farmhouse stands approximately 200m back from the main Welshpool to Machynlleth road, at the E end of the farm buildings.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.