This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5344 / 52°32'3"N
Longitude: -3.2289 / 3°13'43"W
OS Eastings: 316740
OS Northings: 293661
OS Grid: SO167936
Mapcode National: GBR 9W.FKQ4
Mapcode Global: VH684.ZKCG
Plus Code: 9C4RGQMC+QC
Entry Name: Cwm-mule Mill
Listing Date: 14 July 1997
Last Amended: 14 July 1997
Source ID: 18520
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Located within a bend of the River Mule on a narrow, flat strip of ground.
Community: Llandyssil (Llandysul)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Early C19. Sometimes known as Middle Mill as it is the central one of three mills located along the steep narrow valley of the River Mule. The other two are Rock Mill and Fronfraith Mill. Possibly built as a fulling mill but perhaps also housing other processes of flannel manufacture. Shown on the 1838 Tithe Map as a factory with flannel racks opposite. At that time it was owned by Sir Charles Thomas Jones of Fronfraith Hall. A change of use took place sometime before 1886 when it is recorded as 'Walk Mill' corn. The mill is said to have been out of use for some time.
Three storey, 4 window range. Random rubble masonry under a slate roof with stone gable end stacks. The miller’s cottage is at the W end. At the E end is another cottage; a low 2-storey range of similar materials with gable stack. All the door and window openings have stone, voussoired heads. The window are all C20 wooden casements with small panes. The miller’s cottage has a C20 iron and timber clad porch and door, with three windows to its W, one to each storey. The mill has a wide, central planked door at ground level while at first floor level there are 2 doorways. One is at the W end of the mill and has stable doors. The second is between the central and E window and has a plain planked door. The window to the left (W) of the ground floor doorway has been blocked with masonry. The small cottage to the E has a door and window to the ground floor and 2 windows immediately below the eaves.
The W end of the building contains no openings, and there are no openings at the E end above the lower range. To the rear, the miller’s cottage contains a window to each storey as on the front. The mill has 3 windows to each storey, wooden 3-light casements, except for the ground floor windows which are boarded. There are 2 doorways to the ground floor, the positions matching those to the first floor on the front. They both have stable-type doors. Visible at the base of the rear elevation in the centre is a wide segmental pointed arch with voussoirs, now blocked. This was the tail race to the water wheel.
No access to interior at time of inspection. The position of the tail race arch suggests that the wheel was inside the mill. No machinery is said to survive.
Listed as a C19 rural textile mill retaining its original form and appearance. The best preserved of 3 similar mills in the valley of the River Mule, and an important survivor of a formerly important regional industry.
Other nearby listed buildings