This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5297 / 52°31'47"N
Longitude: -3.2447 / 3°14'41"W
OS Eastings: 315656
OS Northings: 293156
OS Grid: SO156931
Mapcode National: GBR 9W.FMSX
Mapcode Global: VH684.QP02
Entry Name: Church House
Listing Date: 14 July 1997
Last Amended: 14 July 1997
Source ID: 18516
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located on a narrow lane 400m N of Llanmerewig village next to the Church of St. Llwchaiarn. The front (E) faces a courtyard surrounded by farm buildings, which are generally of masonry construction
Community: Llandyssil (Llandysul)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Early C19; shown on the 1838 Llanmerewig Tithe Map but not on an inclosure map of 1803. In 1838 the house was owned by Sir Charles Jones, Knt., Royal Navy (b. 1778, d. 1853). He was a magistrate and deputy-Lieutenant of Montgomeryshire and held the office of Sheriff in 1832.
Symmetrical 3-window range with gable end stacks, to which an additional unit was added at the N end shortly after construction. Two storeys and an attic, the latter being lit to the rear. Random rubble masonry under a slate roof with masonry stacks. The N unit of the house may have been added as an outbuilding or labourers accommodation; there is a planked door in the N gable end at first floor level reached by steps. The front (E) elevation is characterised by openings under segmental arched heads with voussoirs. There are two doorways with C20 doors, the north door within a C20 timber porch and providing an entrance into the ground floor of the former outbuilding. The windows are 3-light casements, ( but 2-lights over central doorway and N window renewed in earlier opening). The windows have 3 rows of panes to the upper storey and 5 to the lower storey. There is an S-shaped tie plate under the eaves. The rear has a masonry lean-to on its N side which may be contemporary with the north bay extension, under a slate roof and patched with concrete blocks. Above is an area of timber cladding and a small cast iron window. The S side of the rear elevation is clad in corrugated iron. There are small casement windows to the three storeys, irregularly placed.
No access to interior at time of inspection.
Listed as a well proportioned masonry farmhouse of the early C19, retaining its early character.
Other nearby listed buildings